Ashdown Little Bastard vs Drophead lb-30

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by KlystronNoir, Mar 11, 2014.

1. KlystronNoir

May 18, 2013
    Hi guys. Big price difference between these amps. But the specs seems tp be really similar. Does anyone have expierience with theae amps. In looking for a lpw wattage studio amp and there is a sparse secondhand b-15 market in europe.
  2. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    New York USA
    Here's a sound clip of the LB30 with a P Bass; it gets more overdriven than this - volume level here as about 2:00; tone pretty flat with a bit of mid push. It's a great sounding amp and the tone stack is very intricate. I've found that things change rapidly and profoundly and there's a lot of sounds - but it takes experimentation. Maybe because I'm used to the far more straightforward active EQ of a solid state GK.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I imagine the price difference is because the LB is just a head and the Drophead is a head and cab.
  4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2010
    i played the drop head in santa monica with a gretsch hollowbody, sounded nice and smooth, i can never tell though, because the gretsch seemed to have about 20% of the output of my L2K
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    The price difference is more due to the custom nature of the drophead, not only the head + cab. There's much more 'manual intervention' in it's manufacture than most of Ashdown's products. This came from Ashdown when I pointed out it was much cheaper to buy the LB30 head and a separate cab. The drophead looks uber-cool though...

Until recently I owned an LB30 and matching LB212. Awesome little setup. Hope to own one again someday.