1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ashdown touring 550 Q

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by darthplagis, Feb 1, 2013.

1. darthplagis

darthplagis

ok guys, i am thinking of getting myself an ashdown 550 touring 1x15 combo, as they are now discontinued and going cheap :)

now i really want to add either a 4x10 or a 2x12 cab to the rig too.

my options are either the vs212 (rated as 300W 8ohm) or the mag 410t (450w 8ohm).

would the vs212 work ok?
    and if i must go the mag route, anyone know where i can get the red grille cloth to DIY the grille to match the combo :)

oh replacment valves/tubes too, any suggestions? just i hae heard the stock ones can sound a little underwhelming.

general opinions too, been out of the loop for a while now, wanna know what people think LOL
  2. darthplagis

darthplagis

BUMP

come on people no opinions on the amp? no one use one? had one? what about the cabs dilema?
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The best option for an ext cab will always be a matched cab. So, with a 1x15 combo amp, a matching 1x15 ext cab is your best bet. There are literally hundreds of threads on this topic, and the answer is clear. Anything other than identical cabs is a crapshoot, and best avoided.
  4. darthplagis

darthplagis

aw damn :( i guess im gonna have to go 2x15 or try and get the 2x10 combo :/

TBH it was more the ohms and driver size splitting that was worrying me being a combo only user the last 15 years.

any opinions on the pre amp? all i can find in the search is jaquo saying he loves his spyder head :) and i dont doubt its a great amp..... id love some opinions on it :)