1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ashdown vs Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by krstko, Jan 15, 2013.

1. krstko

krstko

I need a 210 cab for my room practice. Everyone around here is using 410 or 115 or fridges, so there is not much to pick from.
    I can get Hartke 2.5xl or Ashdown Five Fifeteen cab. Both for 100eur. Can someone advise me which one is better. I can't test them because both are far away - time and gas are both damn expensive ;)
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Neither is "better" than the other. Without the ability to test them first, there's no way to tell which one you'd prefer.
  3. krstko

krstko

Hmm .. than it actually doesn't matter which I get? :)
    maybe someone can compare quality?
  4. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Of course it matters, but only you can be the judge of which sounds better.

Both companies are well known for making a quality product. I can't speak specifically about Ashdown's customer service, but I know that Harke's is excellent. Larry Hartke is a member of this forum and has been very helpful to those with problems.
  5. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

AFAIK, that Ashdown cab is a single 15 with no tweeter. The Hartke has a 5" high freq driver.

That should probably influence your decision.
  6. Wesley R

Wesley R

I have recently owned a Five Fifteen head and cab. Purchased new on E-Bay. It had been a demo unit and the dealer replaced the speakers with a pair of Peavey Neo speakers.

the intended use was some coffee shop gig's, variety band wedding gig's etc. It would have been fine. The cab was built OK enough for basic moving around, certainly light enough.
  7. George Mann

George Mann

Without question, the Hartke. Just make sure it doesn't have any cracks in the cones.
  8. krstko

krstko

Actually I was thinking Ashdown five fifteen mini stack cab, the one with 2 10 speakers :)
  9. 4-string

Sorry about that. :) But it is a 210 cab with no tweeter, right?
  10. 4-string

My mistake. :) But it still has no tweeter?
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Band room or bed room?

I wouldn't spend good money on the practice amp anyway, particularly an Ashdown after poor experiences with their modern stuff.

The Hartke may have been overworked or could be a good buy.
  12. krstko

krstko

Nope, no tweeter on Ashdown :)

I'd use it for bed room practice only. Maybe smaller gigs :)