1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ashtrays on P basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DigTheBackBeat, Dec 12, 2013.

1. DigTheBackBeat

DigTheBackBeat

Hi all:

First timer! Wish I could just spend my day reading through this forum, but....

OK, I have my eye on what APPEARS to be a late 70s lefty P Bass body only. There is an "F" neckplate without a number on it (appears aged about right in pix). But my concern is I thought all Fenders from that period had ashtrays. This one doesn't have screw holes and it doesn't appear that they were filled in either.

Did all P basses come with ashtrays standard?

Thanks!!!
  2. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Yep I would expect any original late 70's p to have screw holes for ashtrays
  3. DigTheBackBeat

DigTheBackBeat

Hmmmm....not what I was hoping to hear. I did buy the body. I got it at a pretty good price. I am going to put a Squier Mod Vintage Maple neck on it. The who deal will be under $300. So if it is a 70's Fender I did great. If not, it is still a beautiful bass, maybe Japanese lawsuit. and hopefully still a player.

I will add pix when I receive it over the weekend.

As an aside, it is lefty in a pretty rare color. Is it possible (I guess anything is possible) a lefty could have been special ordered sans ashtrays? And second, what year did Fender stop adding them as standard? Maybe it is newer than I think it is.
  4. Salamenster

Salamenster

An 'F'-stamped P-bass ashtray?! PICS PLEASE!

EDIT: Sorry I read wrong... :( I'm still hoping one such a thing is out there, somewhere...

From what I've heard, basses shipped with chrome covers until the mid-early 80's. Not sure, though.
  5. DigTheBackBeat

DigTheBackBeat

Mid-early 80's? If that is the case I'll take it! I'll open it when I get it. Maybe there are some clues in the cavity.