Assesment of split coil J pu's for more modern tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by M_hubbert, Apr 9, 2014.

1. M_hubbert

M_hubbert

I'm looking to find a Jazz pickup that has a modern tone to it. Something that delivers very full lows. I'm not looking for a vintage tone as I have access to a couple of old J and P basses. These will be going into a 2010 Fender CS Custom Classic. I've had the Bart 9J1's and may go back to those but just wanted to get your opinions of what has worked well for you.

I've read very good things about the Fralin split coil but dont want to pay the new price to get them. And have considered the Aguilar split's as well.

One thing I would like to know is where Barts have the quad coil option. Is that just for different wiring options or is providing a different sound that the normal split coil?

I have have Nord singles in there now btw.

If there is a thread that explains some of this please post!

2. M_hubbert

M_hubbert

3. M_hubbert

M_hubbert

4. sotua

sotua

Modern tone Js? Mmmm... EMGs? DiMarzio UltraJazz? SD Quarter Pounders?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Check out the Lace Sensor Man O War's. Freaking phenomenal, sounds like exactly what you're looking for. They behave like single coils but sound like humbuckers if that makes sense.

7. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

^This

8. M_hubbert

M_hubbert

I have seriously considered the ultra jazz. I always here and read good things about dimarzio.

9. hands5

hands5

Disclosures:
    none
    I had them in my 98 Fender MIM 5 string and they were great,however If I owned a CS Classic I'm not sure I would put those in it, I think I would go with the SD quarter pounders.

10. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

11. M_hubbert

M_hubbert

What would you say the differences between these and the fralin split coil would be?

12. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

More aggressive, punchy, bottom, and note separation. More impact, less warmth.

13. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

I used an UltraJazz on my custom P-J style bass. It blends perfectly in the traditional V-V-T wiring configuration, and gives a little more top and bottom compared to a single coil J bridge pickup.

14. M_hubbert

M_hubbert

One thing I didn't mention is that I'm using a John East on board pre.

15. BruceWane

BruceWane

Most split coil jazz pickups are intended to preserve as much of a single coil tone as possible, minus the hum. They're not going for a more modern tone, just trying to stop the buzz without altering the "classic" jazz tone.

Nordstrand, Fralin, Aero split coils are in this category.

Dimarzio Ultra Jazz is an exception to this. They are split coils, but they're built to have a modern spin on the tone. A lot of that probably comes from the ceramic magnets they use ("classic" jazz PUs generally use alnico 5).

Stacked coil jazz pickups generally have a more modern, obvious "humbucker" tone - slightly scooped mids, solid lows, highs a bit tamer than a single coil. This can be altered a bit by magnet used, wire, etc. too - Seymour Duncan uses a stacked configuration for all their humless jazz pickups, but some of their designs are made to get a classic jazz sound.

Bartolini quad-coils, unless you get them custom made, do not come in a jazz shape. They're all soapbars. Wiring options for these are P style split, reverse P (coil for the lower strings toward the bridge), and full humbucker (all four coils).

16. kpolki

kpolki

Are your Barts the CBs ?, if not you should try the CBs there great pickups and a bit more modern sounding to my ears

17. M_hubbert

M_hubbert

I use to have them, might go back.

18. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

I just played a fender with the Delano jazz pickups and these pickups have a more modern tone.