Assignment on Le Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by EpZ, Feb 6, 2013.

1. EpZ

EpZ

Hey guys, in short i have an assignment where i need to talk for 10 minutes on the bass guitar. As i only have 10 minutes i have chosen to specifically talk on different sets of strings, 4,5,6 and piccolo. its enough to talk about general things, extended range and such but i really need to explain the technical side of it to get the better marks.

Is there anyone that could suggest a few points i should be looking in depth to understand the true and more technical side to the different sets of strings?

Not asking for you guys to do my assignment, that would not be cool:ninja: just looking for a little shove in some right directions.

I have a 4, 6 and a piccolo bass so any suggestions on riffs or the like i can learn to explain what im talking about would be great as well.

Thanks heaps,
    -Anthony:bassist:
  2. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

The relationship between mass and tension at a certain frequency would be an interesting point. I.e. the lower you go, the greater mass of a string you need to keep the tension equal. Standard four string sets are crap in that they usually run in increments of .020 +/- so you get a good tension E or what have you, but by the time you get up to G you have some ridiculously high tension and no similarities in the feel of the strings at all. You don't notice it because that's just how it's been, but when you try a balanced set...mmmph!

I'm not sure what it is about steel that is so bright, and nickel that is so dull though... I prefer nickel plated steel myself. Anybody got that one? :)