1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

ATK bridge wear? Chrome plating flakes off?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McSollis, Apr 5, 2014.

1. McSollis

McSollis

I have a 4 month old Ibanez ATK800e. I noticed yesterday that the chrome-like plating on my bridge has begun to flake off, most notably around where I anchor my thumb, but also around two of the screws.

This does not seem normal to me for a brand new instrument. The plating will flake off when rubbed with a fingernail, and underneath is a copper looking metal that I am also worried is beginning to oxidise.

Has anyone seen something like this before? Is this something I have caused, or possibly a manufacturer's defect in the coating process?

Pics attached below.

Attached Files:

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    No, that is not normal.

3. McSollis

McSollis

My thoughts exactly, I have reached out to Ibanez customer service. Just waiting for a reply.

4. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

For the time it may take to hear back from them, you might as well remove it, have it sand-blasted and refinished to your liking. If it were mine, I would remove the remaining chrome, primer it and paint it, rattle-can style.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. McSollis

McSollis

That may be one of my few options.. Looking at Ibanez's warranty information, it seems doubtful they will be willing to do much about it.

While rattle-cans don't really seem like an elegant or resilient solution as I would like for my $750 instrument, I may look in to having it professionally re-plated or maybe even powder coated black or something??

7. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

While not normal nor acceptable in that price range, from an engineering standpoint that's very normal.

We call it "furniture chrome" over here.

Usually the plater won't bother with the copper layer though, the nickel rests directly on the base metal.
    In this case they have done it "correctly", but either the inadequate radius (and resulted very thin nickel + chrome layer) on the edge caused the separation, or something in the copper layer prepping has gone wrong.

I'd re-plate it or have a stainless steel one cut if shiny objects please You ;).
    Powder coating obviously opens a whole new possibilities for the texture as well as the colour.

Regards
    Sam

8. JH Statts

JH Statts

Powder-coating would be nice. I've always wondered how those big bridges might hold up. Anyone else have this issue?

9. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

Totally good option, no question! I was going to bring up powder coating in my last reply. I love ATKs and considering buying one. My experience, though tells me that getting replacement parts for Ibbys can be very difficult, if not impossible. I think that there are "authorized" Ibanez repairers, but not too many in CONUS.

10. McSollis

McSollis

My concern with powder coating/re-plating: is it likely that adding on a new possibly thicker coat is going to screw with putting the piece back together again? It seems it would be rather difficult to re-coat the bridge and still fit all the screws together for the bridge saddles and other pieces.

Does anyone know how much it might cost me to have this thing re-coated?