ATK pickup dimensions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by abarson, Feb 8, 2013.

1. abarson

abarson

Can someone provide me with dimensions for the ATK200 pickup? I'm trying to determine if it is a drop-in replacement (size-wise) for a MM humbucker.
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    1.905" [48.39mm] X 4.017" [102.04mm]
  3. abarson

abarson

Thanks, Dave!
    The ATK200 appears to have the mounting "ears" like a MM, while ATK100, 300, etc. seems to forego them, and they're simply rectangles.
    Do you (or anyone else) know if the mounting holes for the ATK200 are the same as MM?
  4. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

Dave's dimensions are for the 300 pickup. Ibanez can tell you if the 200 is the same as a musicman, but honestly, why wouldn't it be? Why would Ibanez redesign the bridge and design the new pickup shape at all, if not to increase sales by offering something with a standard pickup shape so the buyer could modify it?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware they had different pickups.
  7. abarson

abarson

Interesting proposal. I've never thought that any instrument vendor created products with ease of customization by the owner in mind, especially if the customization was with 3rd party alternate suppliers.
  8. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    It looks like a 5 string MM with tabs. But they did go through the trouble to make it with 3 fake rails on the top. They are not beyond putting non standard pickup shapes in their basses. This includes the ATK 300 pickup. Yamaha is another example.

No company makes basses with the intention that the end user will modify them, or cares if it's easy or not. When the replacement pickup market got started, there were only factory pickups. We are used to there being all these replacement pickups on the market, but that's not the bass makers' idea.

On the other hand, this looks like a MM pickup, which is obviously what the bass is inspired by. Someone will have to measure it to be sure.