Atlanta is Closed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by D Bopp, Jan 29, 2014.

1. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

The past day here in Atlanta has been crazy! The roads began to freeze yesterday about 1PM, and the entire metro area just shut down! People on the highway have been stranded in their cars for more than 15 hours. A lot of them abandoned their cars and looked for a place to stay for the night. Home Depots and other businesses have set up makeshift areas for people to sleep.

I left work yesterday at noon, and definitely dodged a bullet. I made it home in about an hour. Many of my friends were stuck in their cars all night on I-85, I-75, and I-285.

[​IMG]

2. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

3. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

Insanity. One of my co-workers left downtown at 4:30pm and finally got home to the northern suburbs at 5:30am. A bunch of other people slept here on cots.
    I had no problems driving home yesterday at 430pm or in at 7 this morning because I live east of the city. People to the north and west were completely hosed.

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Awww,
    We feel so bad for you.....:rollno:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. electracoyote

electracoyote

We keep hearing this is over a couple of inches? Is that true? Are the roads slick with ice, and is that causing the jams?

7. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Funny how that shuts down a city like Atlanta. If I stayed off the roads when they are like that, I wouldn't leave my house from November through March. My drive to work today was ten times worse than that today, I still drove 80km/h.

lowsound

8. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

SoCal guy here so this might sound like a stupid question.
    Is not ice on the roads a lot worse than snow? I never had to deal with it before so that is why I am asking.

9. electracoyote

electracoyote

Here in Denver, yes, ice is worse. That's why I'm wondering if the ice is that wide-spread in Atlanta to cause the jams and wrecks.

10. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

11. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow. That is crazy.

12. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

Just remember that we get snow and icy roads here maybe once every few years. Up north, you guys have all the proper equipment and experience to deal with this kind of stuff. This winter storm was expected here, but wasn't supposed to develop as fast as it did. It caught everyone unprepared, and it's been a real nightmare for a lot of people.

Kids have had to sleep at their schools, without a way to reach their parents. Other people have been trapped in the middle of the highway for 20 hours without food, water, or a place to piss. I know it seems funny to the northerners, but it's a serious issue.

13. Richland123

Richland123

Do you want us northerners to come and get you? :help:

My son lives in Alabama and there are no salt or plow trucks.

14. Sollie7

Sollie7 Supporting Member

I tried to drive from kennesaw to woodstock and turned around halfway an it still took me 8 hours to get back...ridiculous people sliding all over the place in their front wheel drive cars...like cmon I was driving a big ass leveled 2wd f150 w/ 33s an I still made it up hills cars were getting stuck on...sucks though lots of people stranded over night and my friend had a school bus flip right in front of him

15. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

Yes. It did snow for a few hours here. But ice formed on the roads at the same time, and it has not gone above freezing for 2 days now, and won't for at least another day.

16. electracoyote

electracoyote

Home Depot doing a good thing there. Good luck, stay safe.

17. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

18. NWB

NWB

Ice is a whole lot worse than snow.

I have no trouble driving in snow, but if we get frozen rain, I won't drive at all.

19. Sollie7

Sollie7 Supporting Member

This is how it was all day...I had to park a mile away an walk because all the roads going back to my school were closed...id wait in traffic like 3 hours just to get almost there an be told to turn around

Attached Files:

20. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

While I understand that you guys are poorly equipped to deal with it, it is still funny to us northerners how little snow it takes for you southerners to shut down. It is a pretty normal day for me to see that much snow.

For reference, here is the weather forecast for the next 5 days. When you have that much wind and it is this cold, you get a lot of blowing snow, which is way worse than getting lots of snow, or ice.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1391023913.430753.jpg

Here is the forecast for the rest of today. Pretty typical weather from November through March.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1391024038.762703.jpg

lowsound

21. VeganThump

VeganThump

Man that really is terrible that the kids had to stay at the school all night, I would have gone crazy if I couldn't get my kids from school.