1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Atrocious National Anthem. That bassist tho.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TurkeypillSLEEP, Feb 22, 2014.

1. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

http://deadspin.com/americas-most-p...ource=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Just saw this absolutely offensive rendition of the National Anthem. I could not stop laughing at the bassist with his sweet slap chops, but could not help but feel terrible about laughing at the National Anthem.:bawl:

I like how the state of Wisconsin is already filing for defamation of character(which may or may not actually be factual).

Think these guys will ever get a gig again?:D :scowl:

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    He can't sing, they can't play. I'm shocked that they were even booked.

3. Milk

Milk

Wow.

Look it's the national anthem ok, just sing this **** like it's meant to be and GTFO. I guess they wanted to "make it their own". Yeah well here's one cover that doesn't need to be. I don' tsay these words often but... where's Jimi Hendrix when you need him? Oh yeah, dead right? Shame.

4. mcarp555

mcarp555

'Offensive'? Really? Maybe not the best rendition ever, but 'offensive'? Rosanne Barr's version was 'offensive'; this was just silly. The comments were much more offensive, I thought. It's sad to see that McCarthyism has truly returned to a once-great nation.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

Eh, I give them props for trying something different, it just didn't work.

7. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

+1 This is why I find it a little offensive. It is the national anthem, I believe that is a song that should be sung one way or not at all. I am not even that patriotic, but if someone wants to "cover" the national anthem they should save it for a bar gig or a garage somewhere. When it is broadcasted nationally I find it necessary to play/sing it the way it was intended to be played/sung. I also found Roseanne's version to be revolting.

8. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I was expecting worse but still would call it a fail.

9. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

While I did not think the singer was particularly talented, there was literally nothing there to be bothered by. If a band wants to cover the national anthem in that particular manner it really shouldn't bother you (except the singer sucked). If you are mad or bothered by them performing it that way you really need to get over yourself.

10. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I wouldn't do it like that, but I think they were serious, and I think their heart was in the right place.

Unlike Roseanne, who treated it as a joke. {Whoever booked her for that gig is JUST as guilty as her.}

Yes, I am very patriotic. No, I am not outraged.

11. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

I guess my word choice was misleading. I am not outraged. I am not even mad. I just found this to be a disrespectful take on a song I consider to be a sacred part of our national identity. I posted it in bass humor because I thought the stage antics and the early 2000s alt-rock vibe were particularly hilarious.

12. azflyman

azflyman

That is a huge steaming pile is shite for sure. I hope they were forced to review it several thousand times and look at themselves.

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 at least they knew the words something that around 61% of Americans don't know.

14. Mechanical

Mechanical

It wasn't that bad. What were you expecting? Pavarotti?

15. Richland123

Richland123

Here is the studio version of that band playing The Star Spangled Banner

16. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.
    I've always been bothered by vocalists that take far too many liberties with the melody of our National Anthem, as well as excessive reharmonizations. It's a song that carries a lot of significance to people that sacrificed a lot for their country and should be performed with reverence and not "look at how talented I am" mentality.

17. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I thought it was satire at it's finest, from the singer earnestly clutching a folded flag to his chest to the strong but solemn military presence at a NASCAR race. "America's Most Patriotic Rock Band" is probably the most unintentionally hilarious moniker I've ever heard. But to truly earn that title, they need to cover the Team America theme song.

18. Shovel

Shovel

I didn't think it was that bad. It's not nearly as bad as the other renditions by for example, christina aguilera.

19. CherylTheSinger

CherylTheSinger

O'er the LAAAANNND of the free...

Rosanne's was worse.

20. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 I'm no gynecologist but I'll take a look. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Commercial FREE!
    I watched the way too long studio version before the live one. I'm glad they kept it "original" as far as that goes. Bass player was annoying. This is a song that deserves respect; hat off, salute or hand over heart, standing. I didn't find their rendition offensive at all.

X8

21. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

I don't get it?

What was there to be offended about exactly?

It was pretty cheesy but I kinda liked it. There are plenty of better candidates for "worst rendition ever."