1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Attain GK growl?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ambissonnett, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

Hey guys,
    I know this has been beaten into the ground, but I thought I'd bring it up again. I have a 700rb head with the 4x10rbh cab. Any suggestions on EQ settings to get the famous GK growl? Also, I have the Sansamp Bass Drive DI. Any way that can help attain it too? Having a PJ bass, would it be better to dial in one of the bridge or neck pickups more? How about the tone pot setting?

2. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

3. deeptubes

deeptubes

Use your (pre amp) input volume and boost for grit/growl, and (power amp) woofer and tweeter, if biamped, for volume. If it's not biamped, the tweeter control is inactive. You can get some solid overdrive. Tweak to get the tone you want. I have a Fender HM - 3 j pickups on a 5 way - that has a TBX tone pot. I like to crank the pre and boost, use the bridge p'up, which is closer to the bridge than a Jazz p'up, and roll the bass off of the TBX to get a crazy wicked tone.

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Yup. You need to experiment with the gain and boost knobs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WingKL

WingKL

If you want the classic GK growl, according to Bob Gallien you'll have to "hit the rails" with the amp. That means it has to be real loud. Try setting the string switch to 4, turn off contour, set the EQ to about 12 oclock, max out your master volume and adjust the volume upwards till it gives up the goods. You don't even have to crank the boost for this. Remember to wear earplugs.

7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Input, mids and boost up

Skip the bass driver, thats for tube grind, not the GK grind. If you need a DI pedal that works well with the GK sound I liked the MXR M80 best with it.

8. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

I actually have both the Sansamp and MXR M80, I switched from the MXR to the Sansamp. I think I prefer the Sansamp, but you guys think the MXR is the better choice? I use the DI box to add some color to my sound. Anyway to make that growl better than?

9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    I like the MXR better because it doesnt change the tone of the GK much. The Sansamp makes just about any amp spound like a sansamp.

10. GK Growl

GK Growl

Did someone call my name? :bag:

On my MB500, I run both masters really high and leave the suck knob (oh, I'm sorry..."contour" knob) completely off. Not sure if your amp is a little bass heavy but the MB500 seems to be a little bass heavy compared to the 800RB so I back the bass and low mids of a hair. Lots of grit and grind.

11. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

I got band practice tonight. I'm gonna go in early and try all your suggestions tonight, see what will work best, thanks fellas. Oh, before I forget, I assume having fresh strings help too? My strings are about 3 months old, and I feel like them being dead doesn't help.