1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Attempting some new art on my bass (ESP-LTD)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sundogue, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

I'm thinking of doing up a very detailed design and using a woodburning pen on the spalted (lacking) maple top.

Something that is a very intricate, pen-and-ink-like design.

Before anyone puts out a warning to me...I'm a professional artist (I have luthiers commissioning me for murals on guitars and basses) and I'm highly skilled with a woodburning pen. When I'm finished it will be a work of art.

For some reason, I thought today about that sculpted oak leaf Ric, and while I don't want to sculpt the maple top, I really want to create a very unique work on it. Since there isn't a thick clear gloss finish on it, it should be very easy for me to do. The only "spalting" on it is between the pups anyway.

[​IMG]

2. Sundogue

Picked up an excellent woodburning pen today. Adjustable temp and more diverse tips than I've ever had before. From extreme fine point to wide blenders and shaders. I'm stoked.

Now I just need to work out the design. ;)

3. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Sounds great. Anxious to see what you come up with. That is the least spalting I've seen on these . Good omen to have your way with her.

I am a huge ESP /LTD fan as well.

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Same here. Looking forward to what you come up with.

Any pics of your previous work to guitar bodies?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. metalhead398

metalhead398

So you have a theme that you're going for? Like skulls, or flowers, or geometric shapes, etc.? Also, if you draw anything out on paper, be sure to post it!

7. Sundogue

A lot of symbolism meaningful to me. Using what I've had for tattoos...Om symbol, Yin/Yang, an eagle, astronomy...a lot of imagery all kind of entangled together.

The idea is to create individual symbols and images, yet blend it all together so that it still kind of looks spalted but hidden within it. Something one would have to look at for a very long time to find everything within it.

I will post as I go along.

8. Sundogue

I don't have any like I'm going to do to the wood on my ESP, but here's a few examples...

My Yamaha...

[​IMG]

A bass I made from my Yamaha (new body and converted it to a six string)...

[​IMG]

Barbarella. The luthier installed some flashing lights on it too that were activated by a switch.

[​IMG]

Electric Lyle Tele...

[​IMG]

For a luthier's client in Japan...

[​IMG]

9. Sundogue

Yes, I do agree...I think the lack of spalting is what made this bass meant for me!

And the more I play this ESP/LTD the more I love it's tone and feeling. I am really shocked these are sold so cheap.

Even cheaper for me as I just traded a small mural at my music store for it. It'll be a labor of love.

10. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Sounds interesting.

Been wanting to do something like this for awhile:

Attached Files:

11. Sundogue

Yeah! Some artwork "in" the bass, not just "on" it. ;)

12. Sundogue

Since I have a very strong affinity for birds of prey, specifically the bald eagle (I studied a pair closely for five years), there will definitely be an eagle in the piece somewhere. Maybe just a wing, but who knows yet.

Here's a couple of pics of some artwork I did for the Raptor Education Group...

A 40" X 60" painting of some of the birds they still have in captivity because they were too injured to be returned to the wild...

[​IMG]

A painting of the Group's Director and her Redtail Hawk Juliet...

[​IMG]

And a couple of eagle paintings (out of hundreds I've done over the years)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Sundogue

And just for something different...

Here's a preliminary drawing for a portrait of a guy's wife as a Princess Warrior. While not the subject matter for the bass, this will be more the style of the woodburning on the bass...

[​IMG]

And here's the finished painting (which I think was about a 40" X 60")...

[​IMG]

14. Sundogue

Sorry for all the pics. A few wanted to see some of my work.

I will post pics of the drawing for the bass, but life has a way of keeping me busy. I run my own business (art, and busy with tons of commissions), wife and two kids, also work part time and oh yeah...I'm in two bands...one being all originals.

15. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

I have to say, I'm very interested to see your work on this bass.

16. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Very nice work Sundogue. I especially like the Bald Eagle sitting on the branch in the snow. Looks like a photograph. Great job. Also the one in flight with the sunbeams. Ever done any album covers for bands?

17. Sundogue

Thanks. The pics are kind of crappy though.

I've designed posters, websites and other promo material for bands, but no album covers.

I've done some book covers and illustrated a few as well.

Here's a poster I did for a band (Photoshop...not hand painted of course)...

[​IMG]

18. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

+1 My favorites as well. Very impressive work, Sundogue.

19. Sundogue

Thank you very much. I've been a professional artist most of my life.

20. Wagz

Wagz

I see a lot of those ESP/LTD basses for sale here in Wisconsin. Glad to hear you like the way it plays/feels.
    Are you familiar with the work of Tony Zemaitis? He's known for metal-topped guitars with lots of cool etching work. Might be a good source for inspiration.

21. Sundogue

No, I'm not aware of Tony, but I will definitely look into his stuff. I love seeing other artist's work and the techniques they use. Thanks.

Up here in the northwoods, there are not a lot of music stores that carry bass gear much. And what they do carry is definitely not high end stuff. Maybe once in a great while. I really am very impressed with my ESP/LTD. Kind of surprised me how well it was constructed, played and felt for the price tag.