Attitudes toward cloned gear manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sketch, Mar 6, 2014.

1. sketch

sketch

(Apologies if this is too negative or anything, I understand if it's a touchy subject)

I see Mooer getting a lot of love, for what are basically copies of existing/famous designs. In some cases, these are old, no longer produced, or rare circuits. Take the "eleclady"; it's a clone of the EHX deluxe Electric mistress, which was last made in 2006 (if I'm not mistaken), and the designer Howard Davis has arguably gotten his due - presumably having gotten paid for the design while working at EHX in the 70s and continuing as consultant. Since EHX isn't producing an analog flanger, seems like a fine thing to clone. I'm considering buying the eleclady, tried one out yesterday.

Now, I just saw Mooer released the Yellow Comp, a presumed clone of the Diamond Compressor. This is an original design, still in production. Mooer hasn't done any design work here, but makes money off it all the same.

Compare this to Behringer, which was widely derided for ripping off other's designs (in my circles anyway, I wasn't on TB til this year). On the flip side, think of boutique pedal builders, as an example Fulltone. They take old/existing circuits and do little updates for modern convenience (like the '70 fuzz; fuzz face with modern improvements). Fulltone also does original designs too (I have two of their pedals, BTW).

So what are your thoughts on Mooer, and cloning pedals in general? Why do they get love, where Behringer got a lawsuit?

Cheers.
  2. tmdazed

tmdazed

dude , every mfg rips off designs from other manufacturers, they change things just enough to get under proprietary law , hell even Marshall ripped off Fender for their original circuit design, most mfg have ripped off strat guitars and fender bass designs , hence why most head stocks are different but the basic body shape is the same

I have used both original pedals and clones, while a lot of times cheap clones are made with cheaper components , they will get the job done for you
  3. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

This is unacceptably inappropriately undeniably wrong. Their heads should removed from their bodies and boiled in oil !
  4. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

Really no emotion involved one way or the other from me. If I can get a sound I want at a competitive price, then that's all I need. I don't find myself deriding products that don't interest me, as it just seems like a petty waste of time and energy.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i'm more concerned with all of the mis-information taught in our schools! :(
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

One big thing about Mooer...they're cloning these pedals into TINY enclosures. People want small stuff so they are selling like hotcakes.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Exactly--they are in fact bringing something "new" to the design by making it so vewwy vewwy small. I get ticked off at cloners who do nothing but change the name on the box, or give it a fancy paint job, or act like they are geniuses for using a 3PDT footswitch. But if they actually offer something worthwhile that the "original" did not and the other competing copies do not, then more power to them.
  9. spade2you

spade2you

Probably deserves an "it depends".

Certain things are cloned because the original is extremely expensive, has an insanely long backlog, or perhaps they're no longer in business.

I think Fender and Gibson clones are a tad popular because the custom shop prices are prohibitive for most of us.
  10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I am still excited about the HangMan 2D.:mad:

:|
  11. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Drum Sales - Guitar Center
    Word.

I think cloning just creates competition puts pressure on the original company to keep QC high and innovation constant. Not a bad thing for consumers.
  12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Not sure about those gear clones, but I'd like to clone the playing capability from some guys like P. McCartney, J. Bruce, L. Sklar and others of that ilk!
  13. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

My upright is a Chinese made plywood clone of a design some German came up with 300 years ago. I am SHOCKED that this kind of thing is allowed to go on.