Attn: G&L Owners - Series or Parallel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

I wanted to see everyones preference on running these basses (L-2000 or L-2500) in series or parallel. What is your preferance and tonaly why?
  2. bino

bino

Both pickups in parallel played over the neck p'up is my preference. Kick into series and dig in when you feel like destroying cabs.
  3. Modern Growl

Thanks for the reply!

Thats how I play as well. I feel that series has a HUGE volume jump. A jump thats hard to contain. The solution is to lower the pickups.

I've noticed that there are more Mids in series though. Has that been your same experience?

Everyone elses thoughts are very much appreciated!
  4. bino

bino

Seems like more of everything. Definitely a sound that fills up space. I do like series when soloing each pickup, but with both it seems to lose some of that scooped tone as you mentioned.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Modern Growl

Definently! Anyone elses preference in running their G&L's and why?
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like running my L-2000 in Series mode with both pickups on full. Parallel, to me, just dosen't sound right.
  8. Modern Growl

Nino, what were the tonal differences you've noticed?

anyone else? MORE MORE MORE MORE
  9. Sane

Sane Supporting Member

Yea I think thats what Chris was doin in that pic you have for your avatar:) ... or at least thats the exact face I make
  10. KB

KB

I use series almost exclusively (all 3 pickup combos). I think series is just punchier and deeper and I like that in a bass.
  11. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

I use series with either the neck or both pu's. Parallel doesn't sound very good to my ears, and I think it is because of the drop in volume and bass. I like the thick midrange that series gives. If you set your amp for Series, Parallel probably won't sound right. The same goes for Parallel to Series setting, when you are used to one, the other doesn't sound right.

If you turn up the gain to compensate for the Parallel volume drop, you can get some great slap tones.

G&L's sound so good to me that I don't even touch the eq's on my swr sm900, and there are plenty of knob to tinker with. I run flat and just change the gain and volume knobs.
  12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

What about everyone's preamp settings? I like to run in passive but active is also great. Active w/treble boost is to harsh to my ears.

Not trying to hi-jack, just curious.
  13. Modern Growl

I agree Scottie Johnson!

Scottie, or anyone for that matter, do you find more growl in series (with amp set up for series) or in parallel (with amp set up for parallel) ?????
  14. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

For me, it is series setting and play over the bridge pickup. However, you can get a G&L to growl and get nasty on almost any setting. I has more to do with techinque and strings, but the pickups are awesome no matter how you play.

G&L has almost cured my G.A.S., but I still want an ASE for my ASAT.
  15. Modern Growl

Scottie, what strings do you use?
  16. bino

bino

I actually have Chrome flats on my L2K right now. Much smoother sounding and a lot of depth with both pickups. I've been jamming a lot lately with acoustic players and no drums and this setup works much better for that. But I like nickel rounds best on this bass.
  17. count_funkula

count_funkula

With my L-1500 I usually ran it in parrallel. It was crisper but still had a powerful low end. I also used it in passive mode a lot.
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I feel that in Parallel mode, it sounds hollow and empty.
  19. KB

KB

I Agree. I've tried it many times and never been happy with the tone.

I also use TI Powerbass strings on my '87 alder L2000 and I think they are a perfect match for that bass.
  20. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Nino: My thoughts exactly. I guess that parallel sound works for some, but I have no use for it. I do like that it is and option if I ever need it for some reason. Just as I say my GAS is clearing up, you have to make another great bass (the green/tort/dual coil). It looks awesome.

Modern Growl: I bought some double packs of D'addario Nickel rounds, guage .45-.105. They sound good, but in a beefed-up-Fender way. Warmer, but less growl than the stings that came with the bass. I believe they were SIT powerwound stainless .45-.100, and I will be going back to some sort of stainless stings soon and keeping the D'addario's for spares. I might just get some SIT steels because I know they sound good on my ASAT. I don't know if I should get a .100 or .105 set because the .100s were better to my ears, but they were also stainless. I'm so confused.
  21. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Series for sure!