Attorney available

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

So after many years working in government, I have now entered back into private practice. While I'm building my practice from the ground up these days, I want to add some additional areas that reflect on my musical interests.
    I already do all the contracting for my band and run the business end of it. I'm hoping to expand to help other bands/musicians. Just not really sure how to get it off the ground and am looking for ideas.

Granted, I don't live in a metropolitan area but I thought that might be a niche market for all the semipro/pro cover bands needing assistance. Any opinions would be very welcome, thanks!
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I would definitely use Facebook as a way to promote it. I would just start attending shows in the closest metropolitan area and start shaking hands and passing out business cards so many people sign some pretty shady contracts I know your service would be popular I would have some set prices for your basic services and offer package deals for more involved work sounds like a great idea good luck with it.I know plenty of bands would love someone to negotiate with clubs and handle the business and legal ends of things
  3. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

That's a really good idea. I am thinking many bands won't want to deal with the hassles of venue owners and contracts yet I hope to help them realize the importance of them.
  4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I think it's going to be a tough sell. Even on here you can read all the posts of people looking for free advice and not wanting to pay for legal advice. You may find lots of tire kickers looking to pick your pocket for free advice.

Also, are the venues in your area really having bands sign contracts?
  5. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I'm just a marketing dude who owns a ton of music gear.

----

OPINION...
    Sell guaranteed contract templates for $8 - "review yours for $100"

Then add on a $1/minute phone consulting option.

^^above is just a hunch of what may be palletable by the music community^^
  6. Freddels

What's a "guaranteed" contract?

Review someone else's contract for $100? What if it needs changes? What if the person doesn't want to pay for those changes?
  7. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

... & even then, not interested in following it!
  8. Freddels

So true.
  9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Guarantee = If you have problems with my contract, I'll refund your $8

Review = I'll look it over for the basic constructs of contract elements and note deficiencies.

What if you don't want to pay... who cares... it's your contract.

-----

Issue is that musicians normally don't use strong agreements and don't have a ton of cash sitting around waiting a purpose.

You're competing with gear.
  10. Freddels

So you want 100% win every time contract for $8. Not going to happen.
  11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Freddels.. you're right.

What's a better marketing proposition?
  12. Freddels

I don't know off the top of my head but there's no way an attorney can make a living writing $8 contracts (that will win in every situation) or reviewing contracts for $100.

Plus, once that one $8 is written and sent out, it'll be copied and shared and posted on forums like this one . . . all for $8 and lots of liability.
  13. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

Yeah, that's the big problem. Copying one contract and trying to make it applicable for every situation. That is the #1 problem with Internet legal advice. I wouldn't draft a contract unless I'm personally meeting with the client and giving written notice that the services are client and issue specific.

But a lot good ideas floating around thanks all.

Very true, you can draft the most golden contract but if the client chooses not to follow it, that is on them.

I wouldn't mind offering negotiation services as well. I may have to travel some but that's okay too.
  14. Kenner

Kenner

I have the standard template I have used for years... it's served it's purpose in court (read: I won) ... the current company I book with doesn't keep me as busy as I want...so I use my contract for the gigs I find....
  15. azureblue

azureblue

First, refresh yourself on entertainment biz law. If it were me, I'd start by selling prefab contracts. Don't charge more than what they be gotten for on line. Then charge for email or phone quickie consultation - this is for the musicians who are faced with something that's maybe a bit shady, and need a go/nogo/ only sign if you fix this_____. Setup a pay pal, so you can get paid before selling advice. Maybe have classes in basics, like copyright, publishing, re-use, broadcast rights, etc. Also, advice about touring overseas - a lot of guys go over there and have no concept that the laws are not the same, and a single misbehavior could land you in a very unpleasant jail,or get your passport taken away from you.. Then you could upscale to recording contracts.....
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I think another avenue would be to represent the clubs and handle their end of things taking care of contracts and band relations. I would also think about getting into band promotion so many bands don't know how to get gigs or how to promote themselves you could have a service that brings clubs fresh new and exciting bands and provide those bands with opportunities to get exposure and make money providing both sides with your legal services which include contracts that both sides can agree on and think one of those bands may make it big and you have the inside track to being their full time manager.
  17. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Apps are commonly $1-8.... With free upgrades

I know a few authors that do well
  18. Freddels

There's a lot of thinking outside the box (sort of) going on here. But representing bars/clubs? Do you have any idea how many rum cokes they would have to sell to pay for the legal advice? :D:D
  19. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

What about buying & collecting bad debt from venues?
  20. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Or garage band gigs?