Audere noise cancelling preamp-single coils without the hum

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by narud, Mar 28, 2014.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

so a while back david was kind enough send me one of his new noise cancelling preamps to check out. a very gracious thing to do considering ive posted many times through out the years that the audere isnt one of my favorite pres. i am super picky about jazz bass pickups though.

i installed one of these in an american standard jazz and it does exactly what it should. it gets rid of nearly all of the hum while not changing the sound of what the pickups usually sound like while running through the circuit.

if youre a fan of what his preamp sounds like, this new noise cancelling version is a no brainer. unfortunately you do need the larger route under the pickguard thats on the american standard and i think mexican fenders.
    http://www.audereaudio.com/jnc.htm
  2. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Way cool. Too bad I'm not a big fan of their preamps...besides, nothing wrong with a little noise.
  3. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Basically it reminds me of the old Alembic dummy 3rd pickup which makes the pickups hum cancelling.
  4. Audere

Audere Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Audere Audio
    It should - both cancel the noise with an additional coil.

The hard part was making it work with the much smaller noise sensor (aka like a miniature pickup) in the wiring channel which was the only place to put it assuming the routing on the bass would not get changed.
    This small noise sensor must respond exactly like the much larger pickups.
    And making sure the preamp does not change the sound of the pickups.

There is a Vol, Vol, Tone set up for players which just want to cancel the noise but do not want a traditional preamp.

Fender basses with the wiring channel include:
    Most of the US versions but not all the vintage reissues
    The MIM standard jazz
    The Squier Vintage Modified

David
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

This is awesome. The bass world needs more innovators like David!
  7. narud

narud Supporting Member

+1
    This is a pretty awesome deal. I'm tempted to pick up one of the non preamp versions!
  8. CrashClint

That is really impressive, so this will work on any single coil pickup or single coil pickup/preamp setup?
  9. Audere

Audere Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    We use noise sensors optimized to match the specific type of single coil pickups installed in the bass.

For example, Nordstrand makes a NJ4 and a NJ4 70s wind.
    These 2 pickups sound different and they also collect hum and noise differently.
    To cancel the hum and noise most effectively we use a different matching noise sensor for these 2 pickup types.

Same thing happens with Fender pickups and Seymour Duncan pickups etc.

On the flip side Fender will often part number a pickup differently where what changes is a ground lug is added. These of course take the same noise sensor.

There are 2 lists of pickup types with available noise sensors on the website link posted by narud.
    You can Open/close the pickup lists by click on the headings at the bottom of the page.
    But the short version is we have almost all Fender, Nordstrand, Seymour Duncan covered and many of the other popular jazz pickups.
    We are adding more types over time.
    If you are interested in a specific type not listed then email us as we have worked out the design for some types not listed but it will take a few extra days to create the noise sensor.

Many players change the pickups in their bass over time; we made it so you can buy just the new type of noise sensor to go with your pickups.
    To install the new noise sensor you unsolder/solder 2 wires to pins on the circuit board.

David
  10. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    I'm literally just waiting on a set of 70's wind right now and the bass is designed around David's wonderful preamps.
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

very cool!

by having the coil actively mixed with the rest via the preamp instead of just being wired in, you avoid the tone loss dummy coils create when they load the regular pickups.

some vintage strat guys insist that non RW/RP strat pickup pairs sound slightly better, and scott over at zexcoil has done some research suggesting that there is a difference in the measured inductance when the pickup pairs have magnetic fields that are attracting vs repelling each other:

i wonder if there's a discernible tone difference when two J pickups are the same polarity? this system would allow for that setup with no noise.
  12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I'm a fan. Got one model or another of David's preamps in five (5) of my basses, and couldn't be more impressed. So clean, so quiet...and such great tonal options (love that lo-Z mode! :eek:).

MM
  13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Way sweet! I'm pulling a set of Vintage Vibes for Dave to model. When those are done, an old set of Sadowsky's. Really like Dave's preamps for their organic nature. There is more 'there' there....
    Steve Dallman likes this.
  14. CrashClint

I see this comes with preamp options, but what about using this in a non-jazz bass? Let's say I have SC Jazz pickups in a bass that already has a preamp, will the HM module work if the pickups are on your list or does it only come prepackaged with your preamp?
  15. Audere

Audere Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I have been thinking about this also:

For a fair comparison: (please post if anyone has a different idea)
    Pole piece placement must be equal - i.e. you can not just use 2 bridge pickups instead of a neck and bridge pair.
    A pickup actually wound the other direction to get the capacitance matched.
    Repeatability of the winding pattern (but the pattern could be complex like a hand wind - we only want it repeatable like a CNC winder does).

A bar magnet type pickup at first seems like a easy test case but most of the "bar" magnets do not have the reverse winding.
    The ones I have tested just flipped the wiring connection and change the magnet polarization - aka a Carvin 99 and 99R.

Many pickup winders could make this set of 3 pickups fairly easily.

I will give away a preamp system to the first player which gets an AlNiCo jazz pickup set made for a bass which would be able to do this testing.
    I'll make a custom matched noise sensor for it if needed since it might not be made by someone on our existing lists.
    I can also make all the measurements to verify we have a reasonably fair test.

David
  16. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

David,

I have a 2013 Fender Deluxe Jazz V, that I am interested in switching over to single coils. If your pre would fit without routing modifications I would be happy to be a test subject. I already modded with a Aguilar OBP1 but am not married to it.

I was considering single coils, Nordstand, Aguilar or Fralin. If I can help let me know.

Pete
  17. Audere

Audere Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    We will soon be offering a 2nd module which can be combined with a Classic Preamp (old or new) to add noise cancelling and a LED battery meter but it will only work with our Classic module preamp series.

David
  18. Audere

Audere Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I will PM you later today.

Thanks
    David
  19. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Where was this thread a few weeks ago? I was looking for info on this preamp, and found very little. So based on my previous experience with the classic 4 band, I went ahead and ordered one.
    I got the 3 band for an AmStandard with CS60's. It is truly amazing in that it adds no color, just eradicates the noise. The only issue that I had was that my shop is electrically pretty quiet. I had to readjust the trimmers when I got it to a noisey environment. But now it's almost eerily silent.
    I'm definitely a believer, I'd recommend it.
  20. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

you mean wound the same direction, both pickups wound the same, right?

anyway, ilitch electronics has some interesting stuff along these lines too; their hook is to make their rounded coil big, like 6" plus across, and use very little wire, like a few hundred ohms worth.

this way it generates a lot of "anti-hum" while having little to no load on the passive circuit.
  21. Audere

Audere Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    3 pickups are needed to do the test:
    P1) A neck wound (assumed) clockwise and N up
    P2) A bridge wound counter clockwise and S up
    P3) A bridge wound clockwise and N up

P1+P2 is a standard jazz set
    It cancels hum in the center with a passive setup
    With the JNC it cancels hum and noise in all mix ratios

P1+P3 is the test case
    It hums at all mix ratios in a passive setup
    With the JNC it cancels hum and noise in all mix ratios

The magnets and or directions could be reversed but the relative relationships are important.

The question is does P1+P3 sound significantly better than P1+P2... Time will tell.

Using bigger coils is a reasonable concept for generating some anti-hum.
    The website lists 2 systems for 5 string jazz bass pickups which match AlNiCo pickups of 7-9 K Ohms or 9-12 K Ohms.

Our goal was a little different:
    The JNC works with 4, 5 and 6 string pickups, AlNiCo and Ceramics while cancelling the hum and the noise to a high frequency.
    We have > 30 matching noise sensors to work with a lot of different pickups types and to get more accurate cancellation.
    And you also get a preamp (or not) for an attractive price.