Audere or Pope Flexcore

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by aban, Jan 15, 2013.

1. aban

aban Supporting Member

Any recomendations?
    Going into a MTD Kingston Artist.......
    1 pickup and 4 pots (vol,treble,mid and bass )

TIA

Aban
  2. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

I owned a bass with an Audere four-band with Z-mode and have played a Roscoe with a Pope four-band. There is about a $100 price difference but, that not withstanding I would say the Pope edges out the Audere for MY purposes. It might not for you, however.

Do you plan on installing any of the switches? This is where they really differ. Honestly, I'm not real fond of the Z-mode switch. It is just not very useful for me. Also, I think the Audere's treble is a little lacking. However, my pickups are dark sounding so, that could just be it.

The Pope has mid switches for both high and low bands. Those would be much more useful for me than the Z-mode switch.

They are both pretty transparent sounding and when everything is flat the bass will sound pretty close to what it would sound like when passive. It really comes down to what kind of control you want. If you don't plan on using any switch (other than active/passive) you might just want to get the basic Audere Four-band and save half the cost of the Pope.

Once again, for me, it would be the Pope if cost wasn't an issue.
  3. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist

If you don't want to use the Z-mode switch, Audere's Classic 4-band is quite amazing and cheaper than the Z-mode preamp.

You could do volume, treble, stacked highMid/lowMid, bass

I've got the 4-band preamp with the Z-mode. The EQ is so useful that I really leave that Z-mode switch alone mostly.
  4. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

I'm the same way with mine.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IronSpatula

IronSpatula

Another +1.

I have the low-Z mode set to the same volume as the other two on my bass. But oddly enough, if I split the coils on my pickups, switching to low-Z boosts the single-coil volume to equal humbucker mode. Pretty handy for a quick tone change.