Audere Pre Amp and Triumph Recording Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The old guy, Feb 18, 2013.

1. The old guy

The old guy

I love them both and would love to join them but I am told that the low impedance of the Recording Bass pick ups will not work with the Audere Pre amp. Can anyone shed a little light on why this would be so and offer a possible solution. Also I read in one of the posts that the Recording Bass Pick ups were switchable between 25Ω, 53Ω and 115Ω. Is this a measure of impedance or perhaps measuring both in parallel? I have two sets of the pick ups and when I measure their DC resistance individually I get 55Ω, 115Ω and 240Ω.
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The Triumph pickups have three taps. The pickup I measured was 60.0Ω (brown-green), 86.0Ω (red-green), and 110Ω (blue-green).

What I would do is run the output from the onboard step up transformer to the preamp. That way you can switch between the different settings.

If you don't have the transformer, you can use a Shure microphone transformer.
  3. The old guy

The old guy

Yes that is so. The pick up has 8 wires, one Brown, red, green and blue coming off each side. The way the pickup is wired is one of the brown wires goes to the ground and the other brown goes to the pickup selector. The various taps are created when the red wires are connected together (or the blue together, or the green together) which is what happens when you change positions on the Tone switch.. So wouldn't you measure the resistance at across the brown wires with each of the respective color pairs connected, one at a time? That's I how I came up with the readings

Red wires connected - 55
    Blue connected - 115
    Green Connected - 240

Did i miss something?
  4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    According to the schematic, the green wire is one end of the coil. That then leaves the three taps; blue, red, and brown, which is the other end. Brown is the last tap, so that's the full coil. red is the next tap in, and then blue is the lowest, when measured against the green. You don't measure between the two reds, etc.

It's a stacked humbucker, so you have two coils, a top and bottom. You would connect both coils to the same tap. When looking from the back, the wires on the left are the bottom coil.

The two coils are wired in series, so my figures I posted are actually one half of the pickup and should be doubled... that was an oversight on my part.

In the schematic, on the front pickup, the bottom coil has the green wire to ground. The green wire on the top coil is hot. The rear pickup is wired the same way, but goes thorough the phase switch, so the ground and hot connections can be swapped.

It's quite an elaborate schematic!

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad