Audere preamp vs. bongo preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aboy, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Aboy

Aboy

Hi, I've been thinking of getting a new preamp installed on one of my basses, and I really like the versatility and the sound of the preamp on a music man bongo. So I was wondering how an Audere 3ZB preamp would compare to the bongo's preamp. Would it be able to give me the same versatility or a similar versatility to the bongo's?
  2. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

The Audere preamp is very transparent. I'm assuming you are getting the Audere preamp with the Z-mode switch? I've had both, and personally, I wouldn't bother replacing the Bongo preamp for an Audere. The only extra thing you are gaining is the Z-mode switch and, in my opinion, it's nothing you can't already do from your amp. The Bongo preamp has sweepable mids and the preamp itself is tuned just right for the Bongo pickups. I would tell you to avoid the expense. Stock is best for the MusicMan Bongo, IMHO... and I'm one of the biggest tinkerers out there!
  3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Bongos have a four band EQ (Hi, Hi mid, low mid, and lo), but the mids are not sweepable or semi parametric.
  4. IronSpatula

IronSpatula

I played a Bongo at GC years ago and was really impressed by its preamp. I decided to drop an Audere 4-band in my Yamaha franken-six partially based on that experience. (Might have just gotten a Bongo six had they existed at the time!)

I find the Audere to be a little more transparent and subtle. It's definitely versatile and very musical, but I don't think it has the balls of the bongo pre.

The basses are a little different in construction, with my Yamaha's longer scale and different pickup placement (both are closer to the bridge) no doubt also contributing to a tighter sound. The pickups are Carvin MMs.

Despite the differences, I'm very satisfied with how the bass sounds. I definitely recommend the Audere - it's a fantastic pre. They have great customer service too!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SPYD3R #9

SPYD3R #9

sorry to jump in, I got the (supposedly said) original bongo pickup, it's a long story how I get this pickups
    so I intend to plant the pickups to one of my frankenbass, but i want to make sure couple things about it :help:
    1. is this really original bongo pickups?
    2. all bongo's pickups are passive, right?

[​IMG]

any opinions are welcome
  7. SPYD3R #9

SPYD3R #9

:help: c'mon guys, help me out about the (supposedly said) bongo pickups..
  8. strummer

strummer

Looks like a modern EBMM pickup.
    And yes, all EBMM pickups are passive.
  9. SPYD3R #9

SPYD3R #9

yes, thank you!