1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Audere PRO JZ ?????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heb9_28, Nov 26, 2012.

1. heb9_28

heb9_28

So, I don't know if this is common knowledge. I did a search that came up with nothing.

For Christmas, I asked for a Audere JZ3.

The person who is getting it for me just emailed me and said that "it is apparently an older version. They have newer models available at no extra cost." Then there was the following description (which I'm assuming came up when trying to order or was sent in an email):

"The new version offers a reprogrammable Z-Mode switch - each position can be set to 1 of 9 internal Z-Modes (the switch defaults are the same as the current jazz preamps).
    It comes in 6 different configurations:
    2 bands: vol, vol, treble/bass OR vol, bal, treble/bass
    3 bands: vol, vol/mid, treble/bass OR vol, mid/bal, treble/bass
    4 bands vol/vol, high mid/low mid, treble/bass OR vol/bal, high mid/low mid, treble/bass"

Then there was a link to the pdf of the instillation. So, the 4 band model is 3 (three!!) stacked knobs w/ plate mounted output jack. How sweet is that? Plus the 9 different Z modes, programmable to the switch.

Again, I don't know if this is common knowledge but if they are offering it out to people who are ordering from them, I guess it can't be too big of a secret, right?

How sick is that? So pumped that I will (I think) be among the first few to get my hands on one of these.

2. Kirk Bryant

Kirk Bryant

I have the original 4 band and it has become my faorite pre. I have 3 different Bart pres in different basses as well as a J-retro, Kubikis, and 3 different Fenders and whatever is in my Minneweather and the Audere is just the best there is.
    I put the 4 band in a P-bass rebuild and I can get so many different sounds out of that one pickup/pre combination its crazy, my drummer says it is the BEST sounding bass hes ever heard and hes been playing pro for over 40 yrs.
    I think the adjustable trim pots would make even more versatile and infinitly more "fine tuneable".

3. heb9_28

heb9_28

I've heard nothing but great things about Audere. The fact that some pretty well known high end builders use them in their basses as stock electronics says a lot. Also they are pretty affordable and appear to be relatively simple to install on your own. I'm putting mine in a 6 string SX jazz that already feels and plays amazing. I'm hoping the Audere takes it to another level.

4. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    My favorite 2 pickup preamp...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. playzabass

playzabass Supporting Member

I own 4 of these, but not that one... WOW!!!!

7. heb9_28

heb9_28

8. playzabass

playzabass Supporting Member

Thank heb9_28 for the PDF. Man.. I just bought one 2 months ago. Oh Well, good to know.

9. K-Frog

K-Frog

Wow, I just did this exact install about an hour ago.

It took just over 15 minutes from the time I laid the bass on the bench until I plugged it in to test it, and that includes reading the installation instructions.

This one also came programmable (same email you got).

Sounds great, although this bass weighs a ton.

10. heb9_28

heb9_28

You mean you did it in a Sx Jazz 6? If so, I agree it is a heavy mofo. How does it sound? I also did the pickup magnet mod in my SX. Have you seen that mod? Made a massive difference. Sound great.

11. K-Frog

K-Frog

yep, sunburst with a maple 'board, 6 string, supa heavy.

Sounds great. Owner is used to playing active basses (Fender J dlx and Ibanez SR706) and liked this bass but ultimately wanted the tonal variety that a preamp gives.

IMO, I thought it had a great passive jazz tone, if that's what you like.

We did some research and i recommended the Audere drop-in plate for quality and low installation cost and . I looked at other preamp options but this one made the most sense to me.

K

12. K-Frog

K-Frog

I saw the mod thread a weeks or so ago. Very interesting.

Haven't done it, but am considering doing it to one of my passive Jazz basses to see the effect.

13. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    I have used the JZ3-VB-3B in all my Modulus & Status basses and to me its the most natural usable sounding pre on the market.

Nonstandard being a close second.

14. bencue73

bencue73

I too have recently ordered an Audere preamp. Went for the JZ3D. David gave me the option of the new model with the programmable Z mode switch for no extra cost. Looking forward to it's arrival. :)

15. Truktek2

Truktek2

I've had my JZ3 for about 2 months. All I can say is AWESOME!

16. ubersku

ubersku

I have had mine in a '99 MIA Jazz for about four years. Won't own an axe without one.

17. heb9_28

heb9_28

Maybe my OP is being misunderstood.

Audere has had the JZ3 preamp for a long time. Awesome.

My excitement, and this post, is about the apparently NEW model the "Pro JZ" preamp.

It is not even listed on the site. Apparently as people (recently) had been ordering JZ3 preamps, Audere has been contacting them informing them that there is a new model (one even plate mounted with 4 bands eq; high, high mid, low mid, and low) about to be released and that they can have the new model at the same cost as the old model.

Just saying that it is exciting that Audere has a new pre coming out, as well as giving a massive thumbs up to the customer service. They could just as easily have kept delivering the old models and wait til they publicly release the new model. I for one am super glad they're doing this because if I got one of the JZ3's and then a week or so later fond out there is a new model (JZ3D) at the same price point, I would have been super disappointed.

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I've got Audere preamps in several of my bass guitars. Nothin' else like 'em on the market. :smug:

I've got the model 3ZB in my two Carvin Icon 5s. That's the standard four-band plus 3-position "Z" mode switch, configured with high mids stacked on top of treble and low mids stacked on top of bass. With the pickups in parallel mode, the low end boosted just moderately, and "Low Z" mode enabled, my Icon 5 sounds like a cathedral pipe organ - amplified through a large folded horn system. Just outta sight! :cool:

My two Carvin Bromberg five-strings have got the Classic Four-Band. And my Carvin SB5000 has got the JZ6D jazz plate with master volume and blend pots, three bands of EQ with sweepable mids, plus six combinations of "Z" mode settings - for incredible versatility.

All of 'em come highly recommended by yours truly...

MM

19. bencue73

bencue73

Received the new JZ Pro yesterday and installed it in a Fender Custom Classic. Initial impressions are excellent. Experimenting with the various Z modes with the programming switch produced some very interesting tonal variations. I have settled on settings 5,8 & 9 for now but expect I'll experiment some more at a later stage. Glad I waited for the new JZ Pro version and the 3 band eq with tone control is a great configuration of the Audere preamp.

20. jeffmensch

jeffmensch Supporting Member Supporting Member

A few weeks back I ordered the Classic 4 Band but it didn't arrive in the mail. After checking with David at Audere it turns out they're in the process of moving their shop and setting up production again. They ran out of the classic circuit boards due to a flood of orders. He had the Pro Z in stock and offered to upgrade mine for no extra charge. Sweet! It shipped out today so maybe I'll get it in time for Christmas.

21. DAGGY11

DAGGY11

I too was given the option of the new JZ3 and went for it. it has a remote switch that you can plug in temporarily into the board to program the frequencies. low low, low mid, mid mid, low high etc. for more tonal variations. I haven't played around with the modes too much yet, but their are 9 diferent z modes all together. so many options, so little time. I'm back on the road right now so will have to wait a little more. also i have a slight hum so am thinking protecting the control cavity with some of the copper sheeting.BUT IT DOES SOUND AWESOME.....by the way, I installed it in a 2001 Am. std v