1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Audience wants Bass Solo, oh noo

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fendersurfer, Feb 5, 2014.

1. fendersurfer

fendersurfer

Last week I had a very nice gig with Band on a private birthday party. Crows was dancing and in a good mood. Suddenly -when the band was introduced (while not playing)- the audience wanted the drummer to solo. Then "and on the bass guitar" same thing "Bass solo". Good Lord, didn't see that coming. As I play the more fundamental bass with pick or fingers, I'm not the Flea-kinda funka. So what to do?

Maybe I just need one solo prepared to use when needed. Suggestions?
    Groovy style like blues brothers theme or another one bites the dust from Queen style or setting up melodic like a guitar player? I can't decide.

2. Yorick

Yorick

Another one bites..... is a good one to get people moving

3. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

"Maybe I just need one solo prepared to use when needed."

Yes, you can do this. I generally don't pop and slap but have a 20-30 second funky riff I play on such occasions.

4. PJSim

PJSim

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Whatever you play make sure it grooves!

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I've used the flashy looking Billy Sheehan bass line that's in the second verse of David Lee Roth's 'Shyboy' a couple of times. Look's dead flashy but actually quite simple.

8. Zephrant

Zephrant

I don't gig yet, but when playing with friends, my "Bass solo" is pounding on the E string on 16th notes... It gets a laugh at least.

9. I always smile and then play that first long D, followed by the rest of the intro to Fleetwood Mac's The Chain - because everyone in the UK knows it from the Grand Prix - 9 notes!

10. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

I have been playing the keys part of Stevie Wonder's Superstition. Verse till chorus. Babes get down, so it is good. I used to do the solo from RHCP's, Aeroplane.

11. DogBone

DogBone

Bass is for grooving, so should the solos.

I have a few simple groovy pentatonic riffs in my bag I pull out for such occasions.

Leave the shredding for the guitar (unless that's your thing).

Simple is better, slow is perfect, short is okay, but timing is everything.

Just put on a groove and you'll be set. :)

12. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

13. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

If in a situation where the guitar solos, then the drums solo, then the bass solos, you certainly don't want there to be a drop in energy or musicianship.

But yeah, usually the slap and pop thing works very well in these kind of situations.

14. bassteban

bassteban

I launch into Over the rainbow, Amazing Grace or Funkytown, depending on the crowd. Then I mark everyone who requested a bass solo for assassination

15. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member

nice.
    was steve vai blindfolded in that?

16. skwee

skwee

Smoke on the water?

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Big Bottom" by Spinal Tap. Simple to play, should get a laugh, people will like it even if you aren't great. :)

Edit: now that I think a sec more, it might not be so recognisable anymore. Oh well, still a fun thought.

18. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Do a Jaco-style take on Funky Broadway.

19. bloobass

bloobass

I had something like this recently come up...during introductions it was "give us something". The primary guitarist (who is very good) did a slow trill from D to C and shrugged his shoulders and said "That's all I got". They introduced me and I did something similar, said the same thing. The place was going nuts. Get to the drummer, he played close to a minute (all double bass and china cymbals) and got a few claps.:rollno:
    Needless to say the self deprecating humor went over huge.

20. fendersurfer

fendersurfer

Thanks for all your comments so far. Good read! :)
    I try to built a little bass solo on some of the ideas. Maybe use the Are You Gonna Go My Way bass licks that the bass is playing under the guitar solo part for the next gig.
    What's crazy is, that the one drunk guy that wanted a bass solo last gig and trolled after, might not even be a musician at all, our guitar player said: "Never mind, just slap him later." :-D

21. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Chic Good Times do the disco version