1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Audio Interface Volume Help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Pokerdweebz, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

I am just breaking into the world of home recording and purchased my first audio interface today. A Presonus Audiobox 2x2. I am using a laptop with Reaper.

When I am recording I have to set the input level to close to max and get the volume to be "normal" when I play it back. If I keep my headphones on when recording it is loud, but when I am done recording and play it back it is much quieter. This means if I want to listen to tracks I already recorded while making another track I can't, because the volume is low on the playback and very loud on the tracking that is recording.

What could be causing this?

I lack the experience in recording to know why, but a couple guesses:

1)I was using low quality headphones, not studio (Don't see why that would affect volume, but worth mentioning)

2) Reaper IO volume settings are off/wrong

3) Laptop IO volume settings are off/wrong(would laptop IO volume even affect the IO of the audio interface? I doubt it since tracks on Reaper won't play through the laptop speakers with interface plugged in.)

4) I should be using the software that came with the audio interface instead of Reaper.

2. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

Solved my own problem. For future reference there is a knob named mixer that balances playback and input volumes. I didn't notice it and had it at full inputs. This lowers the crap out of playback and raises the crap out of input. Hence my problem