1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Audio Interface Volume Help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Pokerdweebz, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

I am just breaking into the world of home recording and purchased my first audio interface today. A Presonus Audiobox 2x2. I am using a laptop with Reaper.

When I am recording I have to set the input level to close to max and get the volume to be "normal" when I play it back. If I keep my headphones on when recording it is loud, but when I am done recording and play it back it is much quieter. This means if I want to listen to tracks I already recorded while making another track I can't, because the volume is low on the playback and very loud on the tracking that is recording.

What could be causing this?

I lack the experience in recording to know why, but a couple guesses:

1)I was using low quality headphones, not studio (Don't see why that would affect volume, but worth mentioning)

2) Reaper IO volume settings are off/wrong

3) Laptop IO volume settings are off/wrong(would laptop IO volume even affect the IO of the audio interface? I doubt it since tracks on Reaper won't play through the laptop speakers with interface plugged in.)

4) I should be using the software that came with the audio interface instead of Reaper.
  2. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

Solved my own problem. For future reference there is a knob named mixer that balances playback and input volumes. I didn't notice it and had it at full inputs. This lowers the crap out of playback and raises the crap out of input. Hence my problem