AudioKinesis Cabs V!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. KJung

KJung

I'll just say 'hi' and 'subscribed'. Will be pounding my TC115 Composite Compact with Aguilar TH500 and the VP5 this weekend. Should be fun... rather large pop/dance band with integrated DJ.

3. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    "TC212 on order" would be my current contribution..........

4. babebambi

babebambi

Eagerly waiting for more info / impression of the 12/15

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    My TC112AF is still awesome to me. :)

7. anderbass

anderbass

Duke, thanks for building that amazing little Hathor 1544 cab, and letting me be one of your beta testers. Its been a really cool experience dealing with you, plus I've ended up owning a really cool cab that's so much easier to tote around!

Both of my bands are preparing to record new albums, I've already done some live-band test recordings and know I prefer the mic'd tone of the Hathor to any of my other cabs in my bands mix. So I fully expect Its gonna be getting a lot of use both on stage and in my studio!

I wish I had the talent for posting the elegantly descriptive terms like rpsands, Tom Bowlus or KJung do here on TB, but all I can say Is: I'm just so dam Impressed with the tone, feel and volume-potential of this very cool cab! The fact that its so small, lightweight and easy to tote, is just another plus for me!

ps:
    I truly wish I would have brought your Hathor 1544 to my big Crescent Ballroom gig (that I'd told you about in our last phone call) instead of my Bergantino NV610, that cab sounded great on stage but (once again) ended up being way overkill for this gig.

They mic'd my cab with a Sennheiser 421-II (sweet!) through their awesome sounding house PA. They didnt alow me to have a very loud stage volume, (no big surprise there...) so it turns out the Hathor woulda definitely been the better choice... I'm just gonna start bringing the Hathor to all my gigs that have decent PA support, or that call for a reasonably-loud stage volume w/o PA support :cool:

Sorry for my crappy pic quality here, my camera settings must be all messed up or something...

But anyways, here's My Hathor 1544 w/my SVT-II:

[​IMG]

Sideways w/my 1972 SVT blueline:

[​IMG]

Mesa/Boogie 400+:

[​IMG]

8. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Well that answered one of my questions... The Hathor seems to be 24 or more inches tall and 4 ohms due to being used with an SVT above this post...

So that question is now down to; Could you rotate the axis of the mids to make it a better sideways cab? If that was how one would use it most of the time?

In addition to tube amp compliance of the 15/12(24 inches in one direction and 4 ohms).

I'm asking for others, I simply think these cabs fill a unique market niche that needs them.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice collection of tube heads, there, anderbass. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

10. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

+1

First pagE!

11. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

112AF here. Fits between the turnstiles on the subway, and hardly a burden to walk to gigs/jam sessions with. Sounds awesome... just so incredibly clear throughout the range, it makes all the backline cabs just sound "wooly" to me!

[​IMG]

12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

TC115 compact composite. Terrific cab - and just 33lbs!! Hats off to Duke & Mike Arnopol!

13. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

After gigging steadily all year with my 112AF, I can't say enough about Duke or the Thunderchild.

I originally thought that I would end up buying a second one for big/outdoor gigs, but I've gotten through festival season just fine with the one cab. Most of the time, I've got PA support, but it has carried the whole low end in a couple of large venues where I was sure I would need more.

I will confess that I'm giving some thought to getting a 212AF for some venues, though. Not so much for tone or volume, as to have a taller stack.

At nearly 6' 3" tall, there are crowded stages where I can't get quite far enough away from the 112AF to hear the highs properly without elevating it. It sounds amazing as a personal monitor when I put it up on my home-made stand, but then it doesn't have quite as much "heft" out in the room. Perfect for jazz and acoustic music, but not quite as satisfying for the louder stuff...

[​IMG]

FYI, I haven't had to touch the port plugs, since I started driving it with a G-K MB800 instead of the Streamliner. I was initially struggling with some "woofiness" down low, and kept going back and forth between parametric EQ and the plugs, trying to tune it out.

In the end, it just turned out to be a not-so-great match between the beautifully voiced lows of the Thunderchild, and the baked-in EQ of the Genz head. I hate to admit it, but once again, Ken Jung turns out to be spot-on with his equipment evaluations...

14. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Here's Walter, and TC my go to rig, for most any gig.

Ric

Attached Files:

15. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

:meh:

Well, it seems that there are several of you that were disappointed in the streamliner tc pairing. I love my 900 and have been in search of the perfect cab to match it up with. The 212 had me stoked. Do you think the lower tuning of the 212 would lend itself better to the streamliner, or is the baked in tone something that just wont translate well through this series of cabs? I have preferred my amp through my sealed 810e and acme flatwounds(with their super low tuning), as they are nice and tight in the bottom. The TC should get considerably louder than the acmes, and be WAY easier to transport than the 810.

16. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Hi Ken,

I am flying back into MO this weekend, will this be a STL gig?

17. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

I much prefer the grill on that composite build. Very nice.

18. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    That was probably the first one in the country. We should have more in October.

19. anderbass

anderbass

Yep 4-0hm and mine measures 25-1/2" to the top of the corner protectors.
    And yes, it sounds amazing with a tube powered SVT's! Plus I can crank-em up to 11 or 12 o'clock and still have a realistic stage volume.

Thanks Tom!
    I hear you were supposed to be the next beta test dummy, whoops I mean beta tester in-line to flog the Hathor.
    Sorry, I just couldn't let it go, so I had to made Duke a 'deal he couldn't refuse'. So anyway, after he woke up the next morning with that dead horses head on the pillow beside him, he just totally saw things my way... ;)

But seriously: I hadn't heard, Is Duke gonna build another Hathor 1544 for you to check out?

Stay tuned to this Bat-channel... I think I've got a really cool Idea for a cloth grill mod on my Hathor. I'll be posting some pics when I get it done :cool:

20. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    9 times out of ten, this works.

That tenth time, well, that one's rough. :ninja: :bag:

21. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I learned a lot from the STL eq primer thread. IME, once I "got over" extreme eq knob twisting and accepted that dialing back the bass to 9 o'clock is "OK", I found the Streamliner to be much more satisfying in a mix......but it's no M9
    :D.

I think if you love your Streamliner, a TC cab will fly gloriously with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.