Audiokinesis Hathor 1544 Review

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kringle77, Jan 26, 2013.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

I ordered a pair of Hathor cabs awhile back and finally got them on friday. One had some issues from shipping so, it had to be sent back, but luckily the second one was just fine.

Fit and finish is perfect as you would expect when getting anything from Duke and it was packed very well. The cab weighs 35lbs and is a joy to move with the side cup handles. I would have like a recessed top handle but the mid chamber prevents that.

My first impression of the cab was that it had a nice low mid punch, very clear top and upper mids and a very rolled off low end that got thinner the farther away from the cab that I got. I expected this and figured this would change as the cab broke in. I fed the cab a 25hz sine wave at 10v for about 22 hours and then plugged back in. The low end was fuller and the slight 400hz honk was gone. The cab definitely improves with break in time and I really prefer using the 25hz method to playing at a gig because if you arent' playing at high levels, it will take a long time to get this cab sounding the way it should.

My goal with this cab was to find something to replace my nv610 or at least use it when I don't need so much volume. With my shuttlemax 9.2 set flat there isn't much of a contest. The nv610 stomps all over the hathor in the low end and punch catagory but, is super dark in comparison. But, you have to remember that you have 6 drivers against one. Because of this the berg has a relatively large boost in the 100-500hz range where all the meat of a bass is. The hathors native voice is rather flat with a low end roll off.

To get the two more similar, I boosted the bass to 3:00, boosted 120hz to 3:00, boosted 2.5khz all the way up, treble was cut back to 10:00. Both switches on the hathor cab were in the up position, which is the brightest setting. Normally with the berg Im boosting 800hz at 3:00, treble at 2:00, global high at 12:00. With both cabs sounding their best the hathor is much more clear and feels quicker under the fingers than the berg but just comes in alittle less strong in the low mid punch. Not much though. The berg hits you in the chest alittle harder at comparable volumes but feels alittle congested, much less off axis dispersion of upper mids and highs too. Both great sounds that are in the same family though.

The little 4" mids in the 1544 really sound good. They get tweeter high but never sound clacky or harsh. The hathor sounds so good with overdrive and distortion. Better than the nv610 even and better than anything else I've ever used. There are two switches on the back of the 5144. the bottom one lets the woofer run fullrange or trim out some upper mids. The top switch does the same to the mids. I prefer the woofer run fullrange and the mid either way.

I know that the nv610 is supposed to be a great match for the svt (mine is a real one from the 70's) but, I've never loved it. My brothers SVT CL probably sounds better with the berg than my 70's but, thats because the berg is strong where the cl is weak and the 70's tone is too much of the same frequencies and gets to thick in the bottom and too rough up top. The hathor loves my svt! I turned the treble to 3:00 and left it. Done. Sound great.

I totally recommend this cab to anyone but, be aware that you may want to boost the lows and low mids alot unless you amp is voiced fatter than my shuttle. The ashdown ABM500 would probably just LOVE this cab. I plan to just keep this one cab so, maybe I should have got a 4ohm. Everytime I buy two small cabs, I always realise that I still prefer one trip with a cab than two.

I took pictures but, they don't look any different than the ones already posted. I'll be using this cab at mondays practise and udating this review as well as a video review in a week or two.

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    Thanks for the review. So, as a stand alone 115, with say, 500 watts in a relatively loud Blues/Roots band, do you think it would lay down a solid enough pillow for the band, yet still cut though the mix without PA support ? Need a one cab solution for this type of situation, and have tried the fEARful, but looking for something else.

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Chris. Do you think this cab on its' own could cover The Pines bar in Malone?

4. kringle77

I'll be using it at bandpractise on monday and we'll see.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kringle77

Lomo, I know that you love the light, one trip cabs so when I get my xsoncis cab, we'll get together with that and the hathor for some brews!

7. lomo

:p:bassist::bassist::bassist::p

Amazing. Dunno when that cab lands, but I'm off the 1st week in Feb, beginning with a Winter Carnaval gig at Titus Mtn.

8. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Nice review. Maybe when the other returns you can stack it and maybe get a different picture. Not sure its the carrying of the two cabs or that you are comparing the sound to the Berg that is making you think of selling one off. Just a suggestion , not saying to, but try stacking them and see what you think. Maybe you will want your Berg to stay at the rehearsal space. Pictures still would be nice cause its yours. I like the way they look. I have the TCw15AF and did consider getting another but we know what is going with that cabinet. I hate to think about if I have to replace the speaker when Duke runs out. I was very curious what you thought about them. Thank You for your very descriptive review.

9. kringle77

I'll have the xsonics cf212 next wednesday or thursday and being doing all of my video reviews in about 2 weeks at my buddies practise space. My neighbor is very old, retired, bored, nosey and loves calling the cops. Lomo, that would be a good week. We'll talk. It would be good to hear different amps through it.

10. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

After having read many of your threads in search of your ultimate cabinet, I have to wonder if a spritual successor to the NV215 would "solve" your unending quest of proper tone in a small transportable package. Perhaps 2 3015's with Duke's sealed cab emulation tuning, crossed over relatively high and "overlapping" with a pair of Faital MIds, vertically alligned. Sort of like a Baer ML212 but with 3015's instead, and a far lower tuning(leading to tighter lows).

11. kringle77

Oh, I've thought about it and thats exactly the design I've come up with but, Im trying some smaller cabs at the moment. Duke has some special tricks up his sleeve that nobody has has at the moment and I wouldn't want to ruin that by using them in my own build. Im looking for a one handed carry cab that will handle a gig. The Hathor may work and the xsonics may work. Gigs are slow right now because everyone is so broke so Im not getting the gig tests in like I did in the past. Thats real important.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

Has your Schroeder arrived yet? Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

13. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Nice review Chris. I look forward to checking out an Audio Kinesis one of these days, they look great.

I shipped your Xsonics 212CF on Saturday, and Fedex says you'll have it Wednesday.

Rock on !!!!!

14. kringle77

Nick, Im really looking forward to trying out your cab.

The schroeder arrived. I ordered an 8ohm but when it arrived, the cab actually had drivers for a 4ohm cab wired up as 16ohms. So, I opened the cab up to wire it for 4ohms and found that it had no bracing or sound absorbing material in it. Thats a real deal breaker for me. I will say that once the drivers are broken in they damn powerful and loud. Since I had the cab open anyway, I stuffed some mattress topper in there and what a difference it made. So much better, more focused mids and bottom. Actually, with the foam in there I would say that it was a great cab. If Jorg would just put alittle bracing in there and line it with mattress topper, I'd say that it would rank with the best 2x12's out there. I did end up sending it back because of these two things though. A cab in that price range should not be lacking in those areas. Jorg did refund my money though and was good to deal with. I've never heard a louder 2x12 and it actually did have a good low end. I probably wouldn't hesitate to buy one used and then add the bracing and foam myself. I expect the xsonics cab to be in the same tone universe but be better built and sound even better. That cab will get it's own review thread and video as well. Probably two weeks.

Played the Hathor more today. Loving it. Seems to get better every day. Using it at practise tomorow night and I may record a song or two for my first video. 3 piece band. Practise in a dirty garage with -10F blowing outside. Thats real life right there. You know, guy stuff. :smug:

15. kringle77

Just got home from practise. I recorded some video and the bass tone was really good but, the garage was freezing and we played so bad the guys would kill me if I posted the video. The hathor would be loud enough for me on some gigs, but not all. It does have a nice punch and actually sounds better than the nv610. But, so far, there is still nothing that I've played that has that thickness and steel punch of the berg. The hathor put out a surprising amount of volume and had a really nice upper mid grind happening. If it just had that thickness in the low mids that the berg cab has, it would be the ultimate cab. I keep coming back to the conclusion that it must be the distortions caused by mutiple drivers producing the same frequencies in close proximity that makes that thickness. No single 15 has ever had that same sound. This one however has come the closest and is almost there. Just the best top and upper mids that I've heard and a good low end. There is a nice low mid punch that I love, I just wish that it was a wider bump maybe. I'd love to run this cab sitting on top of the berg. That would soil some pants. I have no regrets. This is a great cab all the way around. To ask it to replace a big cab like the nv610 is asking too much. At least for volume. If I was recording it would be the Hathor every time and at smaller gigs as well. Better sound and lower volume. If Duke ever produces a multi-10 loaded cab with this type of voicing, I'll be on it. He has gotten very close to a sealed cab sound and feel. Very close. Actually, a 2x12 variant would probably get close enough to the nv610 for me to be happy. The guys were very surpised at the sound coming out of this 35lb cab. Hauling it through the snow back to my truck was alot nice that dragging the berg and I will continue using the Hathor for such occasions.

16. KJung

KJung

So when your second one arrives, you should be in good shape with these:bassist:

17. lomo

But then "it" would be over:bawl::D:bag::bassist:

Hathor sounds nice (hope I can get to hear it), but pretty discouraging report on the Schro cab :-(

18. KJung

KJung

:p Didn't think about that. That would ruin everything:D

19. kringle77

"it" being the chase? That would sort of suck but, the chase is starting to get old I guess. But, Im getting close. I think this cab would kill with a streamliner, with the 600hz boosted. I plan on just keeping the one Hathor. The mid circuit on the second one got damaged during shipping but, I got to use the 15's together. Huge sounding and awsome. Still doesn't sound like multiple 10's. Same vibe and feel but, not quite that massive hit in the middle. To be fair, the hathor does compete with other sealed cabs and sounds like them. The berg nv610 is really a different animal. It just hits so much harder than an ampeg 8x10 that it's almost not a fair comparison to other sealed cabs. But, thats what any cab has to do to compete for my attention. I'd take a pair of hathors over an ampeg 8x10 any day, or any other ported cab. Thats bassed on sound. I may like the eden xlt cabs better in some ways but, not when it comes to moving them. Duke hit a nice balance. Im sure that if I sent him my nv610 he could come up with something just as good and better. If the nv had the upper mids and treble of the hathor it would be perfect. The hathor is a serious cab once broken in. I had the billy sheehan grind from hell at last nights jam. It really sounded like his overdriven but, warm sound. Same kind of low end he would use too. Big and punchy but, not as tight and punchy as I prefer. Im in line to get his new EBS overdrive and through the hathor it will be scary.

20. lomo

Naw, it's just morphing into something else:

GAS expands to fill any and all available space:p

21. kringle77