Audition Nerves

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassestkkm, Mar 5, 2014.

1. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Hey guys I have a few questions. I have my first audition for a classic rock cover band tomorrow (Thursday). I get in tough with the band Monday night and Tuesday morning got a list of songs for the audition. I was expecting 3 or 4 songs to learn and then to play at the audition. For 2 days notice that seems reasonable to me.

I got an email back with 5 songs and then another 5 that were potential jam songs. I understand if the band is a full time thing but I feel like with it being a jam and shows sometimes things its just a bit much. I've heard 7 of the 10 songs and have sonce learned about 6 of them. Its rough and not perfect but I'm doing my best.

Is 10 songs too much? Especially in 2 days? Has this happened to you?

I'll post back after the gig I suppose. This was the ad...

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/muc/4357554320.html
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Most typical classic rock songs are usually pretty easy and you should probably already know most - but FWIW, if I was going to take the time to go to the audition, I'd learn and know ALL the songs like the back of by hand.

Good luck, and best wishes.
  3. DanSRX

DanSRX

To be fair, ten songs is a lot to learn in that time (depends what they are though) but that is still too much to learn in two days for an audition.

Concentrate on the first 5

The people you are auditioning for should hopefully be understanding enough to realise it is a lot to learn in a short time and it may pay to message them saying, I did my best and only learnt X amount, but I'll wing the others. You know, don't put yourself down and keep cool.

It may pay to take a look and listen at the other songs and make a chord chart for on the fly playing?
  4. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

I should know most this is true. But I am guilty. I haven't really learned many because I haven't been able to. I have heard most all the songs. But am just now learning to play them. I'm trying to walk in tomorrow knowing all of them. These guys seem like they've been playing a long time. I'm only 21 at this point haha
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Good luck. That's a lot of songs, but if there are similarities between some of them, it will save you some time. Sometimes you surprise yourself at what you can pull off with a little effort. I hope it works out that way for you. Knock 'em for a loop like the thunderous bass god you are!
  7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Think positive. You'll do fine - just turn off the computer and get to learning/practicing already. ;)

Cheers,
    Joe
  8. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Run through the songs and make yourself a 'cheat sheet' of verse/chorus progressions..
  9. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Learn as many as you can... but don't say you know a song if you can't play it down cold. Learning all 10 half a&&ed is no go, they won't know what kind of player you are. Do what you can, but do it well.
  10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
  11. Winfred

Winfred

Show up, on time.

Lock in with that drummer. That's key.

Play as well as you can.

Don't be nervous, or intimated. Most musicians are full of ####. Having toured or cut an album, doesn't mean they're any good.

Have fun. It's just an audition. The worst thing that happens is you don't get it. You haven't lost anything. Trust me.
  12. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Hey guys. I'm just checking in. I'll list off the songs real quick just to give an ide. I think they're there for the can you paly fast moving bass parts thing. Which is okay I suppose. But a lot of them are really fun to play too. So I suppose I'm excited and nervous as this is my first audition. List is:
    The Wanton Song- Led Zeppelin
    Good Times Bad Times- Led Zeppelin
    The Ocean- Led Zeppelin
    Show Me the Way- Frampton
    Too Hot to Handle- UFO
    Whole Lotta Rosie- AC/DC
    Pride and Joy- SRV
    Livin on a Prayer- Bon Jovi
    Ah Leah- Donnie Iris
    Lights- Journey

I'd never heard Too Hot to Handle, Pride and Joy, or Ah Leah. And Ah Leah is the only one I can't get comfortable with. Livin on a Prayer is the annoying one to me because its just an annoying bass line in my mind. Pride and Joy is 12 bar so that's not bad. I just might forget a little bit for chen the sections change. But I'l listening a ton so hopefully it will be okay.
  13. Qlanq

Qlanq

Nice list. The Ocean used to go down really well live. Enjoy it. Make sure you tell them your favourite joke.
  14. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I could sorta understand not ever hearing Too Hot to Handle, or Ah Leah, but you've never heard Pride and Joy? :eek:

Oh, I see, you're not one of us old farts :)
  15. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Wow. Nice list. But they surely can't think you'll have all the subtle nuances down in some of those songs in just 2 days. There are some really precise bass playing in a few of those.
    But nail the important parts and have confidence. Remember why we play. We do it for personal enjoyment and fulfillment. Rock it!!
  16. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

From the ad it sounds as if they're looking for someone already experienced in the genre (not unreasonable, IMO). The song list in the ad is pretty standard classic rock, and someone with that experience would know most of them. My own take is that you are reaching over your head (not necessarily talent wise, just in specific experience). Do the best you can, give it all you got, and let the chips fall where they may.
  17. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Thanks guys. The Zeppelin songs I'm okay with. Its what my dad loved (Along with Santana and The Eagles). I was born into an Indian household so I got about 3/7 Rock and 4/7 Indian music. But my brothers are 3 and 6 years older than me so it was 80s onwards that I listened to with them. So I'm now discovering rosk for myself. I'm just hoping to grow as a musician with this. Otherwise I'm just going to start a group from scratch and see what happens
  18. mapleglo

mapleglo Supporting Member

I just auditioned for a classic rock band about a month ago. They gave me list of 25 songs on a Tuesday to play that Saturday. Yikes! Fortunately, I knew many of them. I got the gig.

Just learn as many as you can. You'll do fine!
  19. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

it's part of the audition, they're giving you pressure right off the bat to see if you can handle it.

personally I'd walk away from that set list, nothing on there for me.
  20. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Hey guys the audition was last night. I had a blast playing with these guys. They're about twice my age but I had an awesome time! They seemed pretty excited to play with me as well so I'm hoping for the best. They have a few others to try out so we shall see. We ended up jamming on some Rush as well so its going to be fun. Thanks for the advice and the support.
  21. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Just got this email:

Hi Kish,

We enjoyed having you out. Your enthusiasm and smiles were refreshing…

I think I might be able to speak for Ron to some degree in that we feel kind of like American Idols Judges. Different guys bring a different group of positives.

As for you, I can say you have made it the final round! <And Simon might say you are the man to beat at this point >

We have 2 more auditions scheduled, we will keep you posted and back to your soon.

In the meantime if you could continue to refine what we have went over with a little emphasis on the timing. I know myself when I get excited or nervous I tend to speed up a bit.<Just something to keep in mind>

Again &#8211; Thanks for Your Enthusiasm and Willingness. You will hear from us soon.

Warm Regards,

Bob V.