Audition process

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Twobass, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Twobass

Twobass

I have a question. If you are auditioning people do you audition everyone or do you take the best person without auditioning everyone?

I was contacted about auditioning for a band from Bandmix. I'm in a band but I'm always trying to find something different or better. So the band leader contacts me and we meet to discus the band, and he gives me a cd with 5 songs on it. I learn the songs the next day and I tell him that I'm ready to audition.

He tells me what day the audition is, but something came up on his end so it doesn't happen that day. Then I get an email a few days later saying the have someone. I'm just mad that I didn't get an opportunity to audition.
  2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    You may want to look up a recent thread on this subject.

When holding auditions in the past, if I found someone where the chemistry was perfect I wouldn't continue auditions. A lot of bands only have time to audition once a week and you risk losing a person if you wait. Good people often have multiple opportunities and you want to lock them in as soon as possible.

As the one being auditioned, I personally would prefer to have the audition cancelled than go on an audition that I didn't have a realistic chance of winning. I know it sucks to learn songs and then not get an opportunity, but I prefer to cut my losses.

The band I just got in had me back four times; once for a meet and greet and then three times to play. They gave me the job at the last audition. By the last audition I had learned 21 songs, 8 of them originals. It would have sucked to not get in, but as my old teacher used to say, "you pays your money and you takes your chances."
  3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

It's a funny thing ... whenever I need to find something it's always in the LAST place I look. ;) Seriously, they did right by you and the band by not wasting anyone's time on auditions that weren't going anywhere anyway.
  4. Twobass

Twobass

They made the right decision for the band, I get that.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh well, spit happens - just get over it already, chalk it up as experience and keep marching forward.

Cheers,
    Joe :)
  7. electracoyote

electracoyote

Sometimes a band auditions someone who is not only a good player, but who is actively seeking a slot and auditioning for several bands at once. The band doesn't want to lose the chance to hire this good player to another band. So they give him the slot without delay and cancel remaining auditions. Pretty logical and not uncommon.
  8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

How would they take the best person without auditioning everyone?

They may have found exactly what they were looking for and thought they were a perfect fit.
  9. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

I once auditioned for a cover band and when it was over, I was offered the gig. They had another guy lined up to audition the next night and they went ahead with his audition just to tell him thanks but no thanks. I never liked that. If I was that other guy I would have much preferred to get a call saying they found someone rather than waste my time auditioning for a spot that was no longer available. Sucks to prepare for an audition and then never get the chance but that sort of thing happens in this business.
  10. Twobass

Twobass

He did say they found a good fit and I thanked him for the opportunity.
  11. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Its always good to learn a few new songs anyways.
    Look at it as a bonus.
  12. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Just wondering...how straight was the BL when he gave you the call?

Was it gracious and genuine, and did he wish you luck in the future? Did he say 'thanks but no thanks, you're not quite what we are looking for?'

Or was it a brief and cold 'don't call us' type thing?
  13. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Classy way to go on your part. No point in burning bridges.
  14. Twobass

Twobass

He sent me an email that said the found someone who was a good fit for them. It was a gracious. They didn't really know if I was a good fit or not because I didn't have an audition. He did say good luck.
  15. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

In that case, just put it down to 'one of those things'. At least no BS flew between you, and as someone above said, no bridges were burned.
  16. bssist

bssist

There are many factors involved in a "good fit". Sometimes the "best" player isn't a good personality match.

I am busy and play with multiple different bands. If somebody else already has the job I would much rather not have my time wasted.

It is always good to learn new material and will benefit you in the long run. I usually do not "learn" a list of new material just for an audition. There are only 12 notes and only so many ways to assemble them. You are auditioning the band just as they are auditioning you. I familiarize myself with the feel & changes then go see if they are really players I want to be involved with. If it clicks & we agree that we should persue it further I'll actually learn a few & see how the next session goes.

Just do what you do and don't sweat what doesn't come your way. Long term you'll end up in the right band for you & won't waste as much time & energy trying to force an improper fit.
  17. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

I can't believe nobody else asked this but, how do you know you got the best unless you auditioned everyone? :confused:
  18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Perfectly valid question.

You don't, but if a player really stands out, and you continue the audition process, you run the risk of losing that player. Also, each candidate comes with a reputation and resume, so they aren't all complete unknowns. I'd say if you're pretty sure that the rest of the auditions would just be a formality, it's better to just cancel them and save the candidates their time.
  19. skwee

skwee

Any group or band is going to have its own level of audition process and ethics. Personally, if I say I'm going to have an audition, then I follow through and have it, even if I already have a good idea who I want to hire after seeing submitted materials, conversation, etc. It is just good decorum, and you never know: someone might really surprise you. Granted, I'm in a national level group, so the process is very standardized, and we do it regularly, even if we know we don't have an opening.
  20. Twobass

Twobass

I did think of that but I guess they found the right person they didn't want to waste any more time finding someone. I hope it works out for them.
  21. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

We auditioned 3 of the 8 drummer applicants for a jazz band last year. Phone calls revealed who had the gear/time/skills and who was BSing, and who I 'clicked' with.

- The best guy was a busy player who expected equal or more pay than his current gigs (we passed on him).

- Another great guy was the first we auditioned & asked him to join but he turned us down (he wanted jazz-fusion, not standards).

- Next best guy fit perfect & he said yes.

- 4th guy didn't get a chance to audition. I asked if he was interested in fill-in gigs & I passed his number around.

We simply didn't have the time to audition that many players so we worked down the list. Audition was pick three of a list of 6 well known covers/standards listed in the ad, so very little effort required.

No need to get mad bro.... it was never 'yours' in the first place.