1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Audition Stories.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Metal band auditions when I was in a band 1989 we were a three piece that lost a singer so went looking to add another guitar player so the current guitar player could take over lead vocal duties. Had about a dozen guys come in the first round, I don't remember too many of them.

One of the things about Auditions the people who show up don't seem to understand is that the bands looking to pick up a player are looking for the right guy, a good fit with style and ability. Gear and a job counts too. We had some good players show up. One reminded us of Slash. He wore a funny hat too. He was good but not what we were looking for.

Most take the we'll call you don't call us line pretty well. We'd tell them up front we intended to look at A LOT of players and go from there.

The memorable moment from those auditions was this guy who showed up with a half stack and a normal guitar. He looked ok and played fine. Not what we were looking for. Some guys think a nod to find the door knob is a judgment on their playing and it's not. I don't remember any hacks auditioning at all. This guy who showed up was high strung Puerto Rican dude. We only knew that because he made a point to tell us. NO matter my Guitar player and aspiring singer was half Mexican himself. At any rate this guy plays his heart out, we ask him some questions and ask him to play a few things to demo his style, like any originals he's working on Etc. So we wrap it up and he starts asking us if he's got the gig. We re iterate that we have his number and will keep him in mind. He gets visibly insulted. He asked us directly if we thought he sucked. We said no man and re explained that we intended to check out a lot of players. The details are a little foggy but he got pretty up set about it. Needless to say without it being spoken he blew the audition right there and then if he did have a shot. We usually brought all the good players back for a second look.

The next band I was in we were an up start and needed a drummer. This guy shows up and looking on the goofy side but honestly no matter if he can play. He had our demo with a drum machine for a week and a half so we rented a studio and met with a few drummers. This guy came in and we start playing the song. He's rough and not too skilled but at no point did I conclude he could not be worked with. There came a double bass part that he played on his toms. After the song I asked him about that part. He said ya I know it's kick drums.... He made some excuse for why he had to play it on the toms. So I think it was only two songs at that point. We had two tunes and were not going to work on more till we found a time keeper. And just like with the above mentioned guitar player audition this guy wanted to know if he got the gig. I gave him the same line about meeting with other drummers before we could make that call. He got all up set and and started questioning what we thought of his drum work. It was pretty bad but we were not going to be too picky either. He was not ruled out at all but then he got all huffy puffy and laid out some sort of ultimatum. He cautioned us that next week or whenever we were going to get around to making the call well he just might not be available by then. He said this as he looked into my eyes. It was like a standoff. I said well, that might be the case and we will have to live with it if we want you yo play drums and your get picked up by another band. Nothing we can do about it. We have a plan on how to go about this audition process and we are going to have to stick with it. I think we had another drummer to see the next hour anyway. If I recall it was the drummer we picked up.... A guy named Mike who I am still friend and associated with to this day. He was not the best drummer I knew about but he had some skills and some move it in his kick. I saw that we could work with him and I know people can improve. He basically grew up as a drummer in the band in fast order like a year later he was pretty darn good. I could tell he was hungry to work with the band and not just any band.

I doubt the other guy would have worked into it as well but he may have. I don't know. I know after how he handled the situation he blew any chance of working with us. SO many things about musicians that are not so desirable anyone showing that they can hardly control their emotions is a big red flag.

Anyone got any good stories? Did anyone ever see anyone get near to blows over this kinda crap?

2. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

I was one of the 300+ bass players who auditioned for Disturbed, back when they had fired Fuzz, and held open auditions for a new one.
    Seventy five players were at the L.A. auditions, and the rest of us tried out in the south side of Chicago.
    I made the first few cuts, down to the last 30 players, but didn't make the cut down to the last 10.
    No problem with me, b/c they ultimately decided they wanted someone with touring experience, and someone who played with a pick.
    I can't play with a pick for sh*t, and only "toured" with a band I was in, in the Army.(Which doesn't really count.)

I wouldn't have meshed with Draiman anyway, b/c he was hitting on most of the female bass players, who wanted to be taken more seriously as musicians.
    A few guys in the parking lot who had their girls with them, were all pissed b/c Draiman tried to hit on them too, while they were on stage, auditioning.

Dan, and Mike were REALLY cool, but Draiman's got lead singer's disease REALLY bad.:scowl:

3. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

That tour experience thing is a real catch 22. They want tour experience but how do you get it unless someone gives you a shot. If you do have the experience how do you document it?

I could go on tour in a few weeks time if I was wealthy. All it takes is money and a band with at least a big van. I know some big names who tell me they don't audition local yokels unless they have toured some and recorded at least a couple albums. But at some point someone gave them a shot and let them earn the experience.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Hmm... I'm not too sure about that. Not looking to be confrontational here either, just present a view from the other side.

If you're waiting for someone to give you the opportunity for anything, it very well may never come. I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's a good guess that most people who have experience gigging, recording, and touring created that experience themselves. And that's also an important thing these bands are looking for. It takes time and experience, and sometimes many years of it. There's nothing to stop anyone from putting their own band together, recording, getting gigs, and hitting the road. If they're incapable of doing that because of day jobs, lack of finances, or any other reason, then they're probably not the people who should be doing it.

I created a life that allows me to tour if the opportunity comes up. My dayjob is really flexible, and I save what little money I can. I didn't luck out in any way with the job, or my experience as a musician. I was never cut any "breaks" by any bands. I made a LOT of sacrifices. Still do. But I knew (know) what's important to me, and keep my priorities straight. If music isn't a priority enough to create the experience needed for gigs like above, then IMO the bands are making the proper choices.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Well in the cace of the people I know they scored some auctions but had no tour experience prior. Now they do but again someone gave them a shot. If they were barred from joining those bands in the first place because they lacked the experience they would not be where they are today.

7. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

My first audition ever was when I was in college and the "band leader" guitard singard saw me walking with my takamine. I was invited over to his dads house "they were rich" where I was to play with him and the drummer gilbert. I was given a cd of about 15 songs of mostly trendy rock at the time "velvet revolver, green day, and stuff i never played" and played through each song and learned them by ear.

The next day I headed to lead guys house. The drummer and I of course hit it off. We both like harder rock and metal. The lead guy would react really weird when the drummer and i started either talking about metal or playing it. Hed interupt us and try to get us onto the audition. We played the velvet revolver song first and next we played "when i come around" by green day. This is where the ship sank.

Lead guy kept stopping the song and claiming I was playing the wrong notes. I assured him I was not. He went on saying that i was just supposed to play 5 plucks on 4 notes and that was it. I told him thats not bow the bass line goes, thats the guitar part. He got so mad and kept saying "NO. THESE TABS ARE FROM GUITARWORLD AND THEY HAVE THEBACFHRATE TABS!". I kept telling him to play the cd he gave me and listen to the bass because hed hear a little more complexity than just 4 notes. The drummer was backing me, but the "leader" just couldnt get it. He also was one of the first leople i ran into who cojldnt play by ear. This became a problem when we tried to play no more tears and he kept following the $&#^ed off fabs off of "im 9 years old and this is how i play this song and pretend to play the right notes.com "

The drummer and I arranged to play together later in secret and the lead guy said I was a "virgin at playing bass". Having a band affair with his drummer felt so good. Later on in years that lead guy had a bad bump in his life. His dad died and his money and house were documented to go somewhere else. I always wanted to maybe play with him once more and just bite my tongue and downplay the basslines but never did.

8. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note. Supporting Member

I auditioned for a band once, playing some Who songs. Played Entwhistle's lines as best I could, and the guitar player/band leader stopped the rehearsal to explain to me that those were guitar parts I was playing, and I should stop being a wannabe guitarist and play the bass.

[DEL]Sadly[/DEL] Happily, I didn't get the gig.

9. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Its like they cant imagine an instrument playing anything exciting u less its a guitar. I tend to listen to bass, then drums, the when im all done with tbose ill bend my ear to guitar. I usually ignore lyrics and singing alltogether.

10. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I met lots of guitar players like him. Most had a background in School band.