1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

audition winners

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by kpo, Aug 22, 2000.

1. kpo

kpo

Does anyone feel it's worthwhile to track who wins what auditions and where? I think it'd be great, just to see where folks are coming from and how bass sections (around the US, at least) are shaping up.

2. David Kaczorowski

David Kaczorowski

I think Bass World beat you to it, Karl.

3. kpo

kpo

So is bass world tracking that information? I stopped subscribing, but I'll go check the latest copy here in the Indiana University Library... where would it be in the mag.?

4. David Kaczorowski

David Kaczorowski

I don't have my copy on hand, but it was somewhere near the front. This is the first time I've seen 'em include this.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kpo

kpo

I found a section called "Orchestra Roll Call" (P. 32) that goes over the Chicago Section this time, giving a "short" of each person's background and training...

What I'm interested in is tracking who wins auditions currently, as-they-happen! The last five or six auditions have been won by my colleagues here at IU, and before that it was a stream of Hal Robinson/Curtis Institute students winning the jobs... I'm curious to track who they're studying with and what their individual playing styles are like, just to see what the "standards for being chosen" are like at auditions these days (broadly speaking).

7. David Kaczorowski

David Kaczorowski

That's not the most recent issue. I'm sorry I can't
    remember the volume number. I do remember it's issue #1
    Summer 2000.

There's a profile of the Philly section (mislabeled Chicago, BTW, they could use a proofreader) and there are also a few pages with audition winners.

8. kpo

kpo

Anyway, since I think Bass World is not doing *quite* what I'm after, here are the winners as I remember them. Please contribute whatever you may know, including *your* information if you won a pro audition in the last four or five years:

May 1999
    Louisville Orchestra
    Kingsly Wood (Peabody, I hear)

Charleston Symphony PRINCIPAL
    Charles Barr (Peabody?)

Utah Symphony AST. PRINCIPAL
    ?

Oct.1999 ?
    Colorado Symphony
    ? (Rice)

January 2000
    Kansas City Symphony
    Ju-Fang Liu (Indiana University)

January 2000
    President's Own Marine Band
    Eric Sabo (Arizona State U.)

May 2000
    Buffalo Philharmonic
    Ed Gnekow (Indiana University

9. paul

paul Administrator Administrator

Hahaaaa! Ju-Fang is in the KS Symphony! Awesome. I knew it was only a matter of time - that little girl beat me in over 4 separate solo and orchestral competitions :)

To Karl and everyone else - If, in the future, you know of someone who has won a major audition, send the info to press@talkbass.com - I'd love to get some double bass news up on the front page along with all the BG stuff.

10. kpo

kpo

Indeed, at a school where the section is used to sweeping competitions and consistantly representing 70% of the finalists at mid-level orchestra auditions, JU-FANG kept on "sweeping" us!

11. paul

paul Administrator Administrator

Sure, rub it in why don't you :D

12. yatesdj

yatesdj

I took a Master Class with Micah Howard of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, a 'recent' addition to their Bass section. Micah did his undergraduate work at Youngstown State University and his Masters Degree from Duquesne University. If I remember correctly, he mentioned that there is at least one other PSO Bassist from Youngstown State Univ.

13. oldsaw

oldsaw

It's my understanding that the person she replaced in the KS Symphony returned after a one year sabitical and she has moved on.

Her performance at the ISB was awsome.

A 22 year old from the Twin Cities became principal of the Seattle Symphony last year.

Mark

14. Volkan Orhon

Volkan Orhon

It's my understanding that the person she replaced in the KS Symphony returned after a one year sabitical and she has moved on.

I just talked to her recently, she is moving to Florida for the New World Symphony.

What a great player.

15. kpo

kpo

Yes, I'm going to be her stand partner down there for the first concert! We have shared many stands in the past (as her bow "dings" on the side of my bass will attest to), and now we're doomed to do the same some more!

16. Ryan A.

Ryan A.

I just wanted to let everybody know that KPO, who started this thread, has recently won the Louisville orchestra job, and is now a employed professional classical musician.So now you all know who to direct your questions to in regards to playing and auditioning. Congrats Karl!!!

17. Danny Adair

Danny Adair

Congrats to KPO! Very nice!

An aside to his/her (?) previous post, I believe that Charles Barr went to Curtis. He was principal in the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra (his dad is principal oboe in the Dallas Symphony) when I started, and I heard that he was headed for Curtis.

18. Ryan A.

Ryan A.

HMMM---I thought there would be more congrats for KPO who has been a valuble contributer to talkbass for some time now. Well, I still think that winning a job is something that deserves the utmost respect(although it seems myself and mr. Adair are the only ones that hold this opinion), you have acheived what so many of us are working hard to acheive-and you at least have inspired me.

Ryan

19. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Hey Ryan:

You are so right! I actually meant to send along my congrats to Karl in another post. Karl provided some very useful information when I first began playing the bass, and this board looked a whole lot different.

Nonetheless, CONGRATULATIONS Karl.

BTW, does Sebastian King (I think that's the name) still have the Buttheads Ensemble going in Louisville? I thought that was the name they were going by.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    I sent a PM...probably others did as well. However, you can't say the thing too often or too loud when it comes to winning the ever-elusive orchestral audition: Congratulations kpo...welcome to Louisville, home of the Slugger (among other things).

Tim: Sid King still had the Buttheads going as of last year. Jim Bates, a longstanding Butthead and my former teacher, has now left town, so I don't know what's gonna happen now. If I hear anything, so will you.

21. kpo

kpo

Sid and the bartender at Rich O's say the Buttheads are still on for this year, badder than ever...