1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

auditioning for a bigger Nashville country act

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ngh, Jan 20, 2014.

1. ngh

ngh

I recently got offered an opportunity to audition for a bigger (not huge) country singer songwriter act out of nashville through an acquaintance of mine who works in A&R at a major nashville country label. the gig is for this chicks touring band and I am to audition before the cattle calls as one of a few recommendations from her management. The only thing is i am at a total loss as to what I should expect from this, and was hoping some of you could give me some advice, or share some stories so that I have an Idea as to what I should be expecting.

heres a little about me:
    I'm a young guy (22). mostly self taught but I have a good solid knowledge of music theory and composition. I am a new york jew (not practicing) born and raised, I use the occasional yiddishism in conversation and look pretty jewy. I have a fair amount of experience touring albeit on a diy level. i have a fair amount of recording experience in pro and not so pro studios as a "session" player here in the nyc diy scene. I play mostly indie rock and experimental music. but have recorded with a pretty straight ahead alt country band, and am a versatile player. I have pro gear. I know how to run live sound, and coil my cables correctly, blah blah blah...

I do not doubt that i would be able to do this job and do it well, but I really am at a loss as to what I should expect from this audition. should i play down my jewishnes (shave my beard, refrain from saying oi, etc.)? how should I dress? will I need some sort of resume or CV? should I bring a cd with recordings I have played on?

in short I don't know what the culture of the country music scene is, and I don't really know anything about auditioning for pro level gigs as a hired gun. any advice, anecdotes, etc. would be really helpfull.

thanks!
  2. Steve

Steve Supporting Member

Mishpocheh!

Zayn shpasik
  3. sizzle

sizzle sunn #91 Supporting Member

howd it go?
  4. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    USAF Band of Flight, Dayton, Ohio
    Bet he got the gig, and is off to someplace with no internet... What a mitzvah!
  5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

If he didn't get the gig, he's probably all verklempt.
  6. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

pro is the way to go....play that aspect.....everything else can be made to fit that,but there is no substitute for a pro attitude,and manner....at that level the people who you are auditioning for should recognize that....