1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Auralex Gramma: Worth the money, or worthless?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by engedi1, Nov 15, 2009.

1. engedi1

engedi1

Like all bass players, I am often frustrated by the aweful acoustics of gymnasium like rooms that we are condemed to play in, that kill your tone no matter how good your rig is.

Auralex makes some pretty big promises about the tone improvement the Gramma provides.

Has anyone out there verfied this statement: "GRAMMA yields nearly total acoustic isolation, resulting in a purity of tone that has to be heard to be believed!"

I want to believe, but would like reassurance before I drop some coin.
  2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

I play quite often on a large hollow wooden stage and the Gramma pad was a huge improvement for getting less boomy mud. Sound was more articulate and cut through the mix better with the gramma pad. I wont play without it anywhere. It is now standard equip. for me.
  3. woolysock

woolysock

Believe it. Makes a huge improvement on hollow wooden stages. I take mine everywhere.
  4. engedi1

engedi1

Thanks for the great feedback. Such a simple, low cost fix to get a better sound. I will have to check one out soon. Does it also help if you are on a really solid stage, or tucked away into the corner...
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What is the difference between a Gramma pad and a piece of plywood covered with foam?
  6. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

I use either the Gramma Pad or a On-Stage stand for my 2x10 cabinet when-ever I play out. They both work wonders on isolating the bass from a boomy stage. The stand has helps project the sound better.
  7. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

I believe the Gramma Pad is "high-tech" form designed for acoustic isolation and to support the weight without collapsing (sorry for the poor spelling). You could be hit or miss on foam you identify, purchase and use to make your own support.
  8. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Virtually nothing. The gramma looks nice. But I imagine one could make one with some automotive carpet and a piece of 1/2" plywood, glue/staple on some black eggshell foam or something, and you'd be set.

The Gramma's used to be $29.00 when they came out, and I grabbed one. But at the price they are now, I've taken a pass on them.

I used mine about 6 months, and honestly? I didn't notice a difference. But that doesn't mean they won't in your situation.

Maybe grab some foam and set it under your amp for a test. If it works, splurge on the real Gramma. If not, don't.
  9. onlyclave

onlyclave

In order for the Gramma to be effective it needs to have a high and very sharp resonant peak to decouple the cabinet from the floor.

The same effect can be heard by setting your bookshelf stereo speakers on 3 aspirin tablets.
  10. neptoon

neptoon

the auralex products i use with my studio monitors and sub keep everything from rattling and vibrating off of my desk...great stuff...never noticed any sort of difference in tone
  11. engedi1

engedi1

Great thought Jimmy. I have wondered this myself... It looks like an idea worth exploring though. Cheaper than buying a new amp or bass or other extreme measures that we have ALL taken, in the pursuit for a clearer live tone.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, but if it's snake oil, you just spent $50 on a piece of wood covered with foam. Not saying that it's snake oil since I've never seen it, but I fail to see where acoustic coupling can be removed simply by sticking your amp on a piece of wood covered with foam. Especially when Bill Fitzmaurice says you have to elevate your amp like 28 inches before you get rid of floor coupling.
  13. jhfishn

jhfishn Supporting Member

I have 2 of them. in addition to cutting the boominess (not bottom) in accoustically unfriendly rooms ... they also provide a nice stable platform for stages that are pieced together.

You don't have to worry about seams or your cabinet rocking back and forth. The foam stabilizes it.

As for is there a difference in a piece of plywood and foam .... I don't know but i do know they do a heck of a job for me.

They are a bit pricey but I figure it's a tax rightoff. Well ... I have to think of some reason to spend money! :hyper:
  14. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

I play on a lot of hollow wooden stages and just use two small strips of Auralex Platfoam under my rig and this really helps our on stage sound.
    Its much better than the cab being on the floor as it helps control the low end but it doesn't loose all the low end like i find happens if i use a beer crate or chair.
    I guess it could just be down to the cab being a few inches off the floor but it does make a difference.

I do intend to get a proper Gramma pad one day but for now im happy with just the foam.
  15. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS Gold Supporting Member

Just to manage the OP's expectations, I use mine to keep the amp from rumbling on temporary (typically outdoor stages), but it's not going to keep your sound from bouncing all over the place in a school gymnasium ... once the sound is projected off the stage, you can't change the sound of the "room" ... gyms just have bad acoustics, Gramma or not, expensive bass amp or not.

And yes, I love mine (bought used, hard to justify the price when new), but in terms of the reason I bought it for ... again, playing on temporary stages and preventing the loud rumble caused by my amp vibrating through the stage floor.
  16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

The pad also has some foam underneath it which i assume is there to stop the low freq's building up under the pad.
  17. stflbn

stflbn

I swear by mine. Use it at all live gigs. I've seen particular improvements using them on hollow stages as well as bars with concrete floors. The Gramma's use several different types of Auralex Soundproofing foam designed for studio use under the pads.

I feel it helps eliminate 'rumble' getting out of hand.
  18. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

I put a Gramma under my practice amp, in my living room. The floor is the usual for a house: wooden joists, subfloor, and hardwood floor.

It cut down on the floor resonance, noticeably.
  19. MN_Bass

MN_Bass

Wouldn't have casters on the bottom of your cab, do something similar?
  20. engedi1

engedi1

Thanks for all the great posts. It looks like a good investment for many small clubs with cheap stages. Something to seriously consider...