Auralex ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lrhbass, Jan 18, 2014.

1. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Has anyone used the Auralex for double bass ?
  2. MrSidecar

MrSidecar

I haven't, and I'm so utterly clueless as to what kind of thing an Auralex is: Can you enlighten me?

Best
    Sidecar
  3. bassfox

bassfox Supporting Member

I have used the Gamma. Can tighten up the low end. More noticeable in certain rooms. Helps on hollow stages for sure.
  4. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Not a bad price to check it out,if it can clean up some low end without sucking out any tone,,,it would be worth it..
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    One more damn thing to carry.
  6. bcamp

bcamp

I believe he's referring to an isolation pad you put your amp on. I've had one for years and it excels at eliminating the boomy tone when playing on hollow, riser style stages. That's about the only thing I use it for though.
  7. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    I used one when I was gigging regularly, with electric bass through an SWR 2x10. It was very effective, especially on boomy stages, in "clearing up" the blurriness that occured when your cabinet couples with a stage that's boomy. Really improved clarity, particularly onstage. My drummer told me he could hear me better when I used it.

Without having tried it with upright, I'm sure it would have that same effect, and might even be more useful - by reducing the boominess, and improving clarity, in certain situations it would possibly provide the opportunity to adjust the EQ on the amp to not have to boost trouble frequencies. And in doing this (along with the reduction in boom) you'd likely be less susceptible to feedback issues.

Just spitballin', though - YMMV, etc. - I haven't tried it in practice with upright bass.
  8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

How about using one for DB isolation for apartment practicing?
    Maybe you and the bass would fit on the large model, assuming combined you are under 300 lbs? Or just the bass on the small one with endpin shorter.
  9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

+1,-1
    I have one, it does help with boomy rooms and even better with resonant stages. Other than that, you eventually get tired of hauling the platform around, so mine is just sitting in my practice room. The Ampwedge is easier to transport, and helps isolate the speaker from the floor.

Ric
  10. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    I also use mine between the cab and amp and and after looking at the link Ed posted it looks like they recommend it and also now have a smaller one as well.

Wally
  11. MrSidecar

MrSidecar

+1. And I will very certainly never schlep such a thing around in addition to bass and amp, may it be the total revelation and the hottest thing since bead came sliced. Everybody's different, but where I play, usually there are chairs or phonebooks that do the job just fine, if and when needed.

Best
    Sidecar
  12. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

Seems like it definitely has value in specific situations, may get one and leave it in the car.
  13. Skribble

Skribble

I take mine to every gig unless I know I'm playing on a solid floor. Fr me, it works really well on big hollow stages to reduce boom and tighten up the low end.
    The smaller platform isn't actually that difficult to carry - it has a little handle underneath.
  14. Champagne

Champagne