Avalon u5

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by peteswanson91, Jan 3, 2014.

1. peteswanson91

peteswanson91

Has anyone used this between pick up and amp?? I know Marc johnson uses it, but haven't read anything on this in here

2. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

I have used it to record and it was a really beautiful sound. Never used it live.

3. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

I used one as a preamp to a Stewart World 1.2 once. Not a bad rig; could use some color and compression but it was certainly loud and allowed me to power my own monitor in a pinch along with my bass cabinet. Mind you my suggestions come from the fact I used it for electric bass; but for DB it would be awesome. It sounded very true to whatever was plugged into it; even acoustic guitar.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

I've only used it for recording as well, but it can take your garden variety pickups (( I.E. the Underwood and Realist) and significantly enhance and improve their timber. There are other ways to accomplish this however, the Headway EDB-2, Acoustic Box Live, and Flex Preamp are examples that are better suited to live performance. IMHO.

Ric

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    I used one live for a short time. I liked it, but it doesn't allow you to make any adjustments beyond the existing EQ settings. In my opinion, that makes it a good option for the studio, not for the stage.