Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DavePlaysBass, Jun 15, 2005.

1. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

I am thinking about adding an 8-ohm 210 cabinet to complement by Aguilar 112 and I really like the Avatar prices and reviews.

Anyone have direct experience with the ligher Neo cabinet using the Neodymium magnets or the heavy Kappa Pro? According to Dave at Avatar the Kappa Pro speakers are more efficient but he does not have any numbers.

I am looking for some upper midrange punch that I feel the 112 lacks. And some more volume to compete with two guitars and a keyboard.

Thanks,

Dave
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I've been GASing an avatar 210PRO since I got my B212. the 210PRO is almost as heavy as the 212, that's pretty crazy, but heavy means good. I'm not going to buy a 210 because I don't need one. Once I start my band this summer, I will see if I need a 210 to help out my 212 for volume and highs. Right now I've been using all my money on GAS, so I couldn't get it now anyways. But I would also like to know more information about the 210Neo and the 210Pro.
  3. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use a 2x10 Kappa with a Mesa Diesel 1x15. It definately adds clarity and punch to my sound, but is heavy as @#%$. The cab was a little below my expectations in terms of tone. Avatar has had so many good reviews that I expected a nearly legendary sound. Sound might be a little better with the tweeter mod, but I havent gotten around to it. The power handling on the Kappa is pretty crazy and it stays crisp at high volumes.

For the money you cant go wrong, I think it is comparable to a $400+ cab anywhere else.
  4. vicenzajay

vicenzajay

The B210 NEO is a fantastic cab...just wonderful - I don't know what bass you play, but the cab is voiced wonderfully - LOTS of punch and presence with a nicely round tone. The custom Eminence drivers Dave uses have great low frequency response as well. I use it paired with either a 1x15 or a 2x12 for a HUGE sound.

Just my .02 worth,
    Jay
  5. L-1329

L-1329

i have just bought a 210 Neo, and pair it up with my B212. I was lucky to have had the chance to play through a 210 delta, with a GBE600 and my bass recently, and was really impressed with the tone and response of the cabinet. I opted for the Neo for weight reasons, and kind of wish I went for the delta or kappa. In comparison to the delta, the neo sounds much more mid rangy, with less defined low end. For my five strings this definitly needs the 212 under it, alone it loses a lot of definition under the E. It is very punchy though, and I have yet to try it in a full band situation. It seems very loud and will most likely do well in a rock band setting. The high end also just seems to be a little lacking in definition, and a touch of horn helps, though I hate using hissy harsh horn drivers. If I were to recommend one I would say the Kappa or Delta if tone is the priority, or if saving a few mostly unnoticeble pounds is more important then the neo. It is a decent cab for the money, but the delta at least beats it for tone quality in my book, and is also cheaper.
  6. orskard

orskard

i rock the delta cab. Ive had it for a few summers now, and since i have replaced the speakers to 16 ohms to make it an 8 ohm cab. Smart move i think, 4 ohm cab was only good when my head went down to 2 ohms. Anyways, i really like it but i want a 2x12 neo to put under it for some real lows. the delta lacks lows at high volumes.
  7. vicenzajay

vicenzajay

Hmmm...interesting given that the NEO drivers have a good 7-10 Hz better low end response curve than the Delta drivers.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not disagreeing as you probably have A/B'd them in a more objective format - I just find that my NEO cab is very responsive to low end (keep in mind I play a 4 string).

Jay
  8. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

I got 2 Kappa pro's to use with my Gk 2000rb 1000watts bridged head . I play in rock band with loud drummer and a mesa stack guitar player. I think my volume the other night at practice was at 1, maybe I pushed it to 2! had tons of lowend, even had to back off on the lows and ofcourse had all the mids I needed. They are a little heavy, 15 pounds less would be nice when unloading out of the back of an SUV! For rock I dont see why anyone whould need to spend more money on bass cabs and believe me Ive done my share of that in the past! I would to love to test them in a real large or outdoor venue, which I think they still will be all I need.
  9. Audere

Audere Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Audere Audio
    I have seen the specs on the neo and delta, kappa pro speakers but I think Eminence changed how they measured the parameters on some of their speakers and both new and old data is located on their web site. I personally think the neo specs are aggressive compared to past Eminence specs.
  10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

I use a 210 NEO and I love it. I originally paired them with a 410 NEO, but I sent that back and am now waiting for the 212 NEO later this summer.

Specs-wise, I believe the x-max for the NEO's are about 50% longer than that of the Pro since they're custom made for Avatar by Eminence. That translates into a longer throw which = more air being pushed for a full sound...it even handles my low 'B" to a certain degree....not much rumble, but certainly audible!!!

Honestly, the NEO'S are great drivers with no sacrifice of sound for light weight, IMO :hyper:
  11. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Thanks for the input guys. I jumped for the B210 Neo. After slipping down the stairs the other night, I am hoping that the 44 lb cabinet can do the job.

Dave