1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by john turner, Mar 6, 2011.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Administrator

2. bassacechase

bassacechase

Mr.Turner, during the transition from part 1 to 2, greenboy had a post that was lost. Is there any way to recover this?
  3. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Hey bassacechase,

I decided there's not point in presenting a technical correction. Those who already understand this kind of thing and understand that WinISD is not even close to being a passive crossover tool also would know what I'm going to say. And those who don't, well it just goes wooshing right past them anyway.
  4. bassacechase

bassacechase

I am just baffled at the audacity this person has. He/she comes strolling in, insulting the very premise and foundation of the thread. You used a perfect analogy with the Mesa / Gk example. Incredible.
  5. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

I just wish the Avatar 15/6/1 came in different colors. Black is so 90's.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

You apparently have a whole series of apprehensions about this cab. Maybe a nice Mesa cab or a GK would be a great option. Oh wait. Those are black too.
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Administrator

let's keep it on topic please. if you see any posts that are inappropriate, please report them and allow the mods to deal with them, and otherwise ignore them please. engaging these folks just makes more work for the mods.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

We should probably put up the link to the actual cab so that people can see what everyone's rambled on about for the past 1000+ posts.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/TB153.htm

If you're leery of building your own 15/6/1 three way or two way cabinet, the Avatar has been suggested as a great way to get MOST of the performance at a price that slays the other production nEarful options.

Dave's cab has been presented after receiving feedback from TB last year upon the launch of a much-inferior design.

It should also be pointed out that some of the debate about the 'new wave 2 and three way design' cabinets (their layout, crossovers, components and performance) has "leaked over" from numerous other threads. As this cab is directly related to those cabs, it is somewhat fitting. The TB153 differs in some speaker choice and crossover components from the other popular cabinets of this design school.

At this point, I don't think anyone has posted pictures of the crossover, internal bracing or component values.
  9. Foz

Foz

Also, I wonder about the box / port dimensions. Just eyeballing the pics, the main box volume looks like it might be reasonably size, but I swear that port looks tiny to me for mating to a 3015LF. If someone would to care to measure and post it would be interesting information for me. Apologies if this info was conveyed in one of the prior 1,000 posts.
  10. rpsands

rpsands

I want to say the port is 22.75 * 2" (so 45.5") - more than adequate.

It's definitely 22.75 (24.5 less 2.25" of wall and divider) wide, so minimum area is 22.75 - but it looks like 2" tall to me. At least 1.5.
  11. Holmes

Holmes

Sorry if anyone has addressed this, but is there any insight on how this cabinet would match up with an Avatar 210 or even a second 153? I'm considering getting one but would want a rig that I could add more speakers to when the time came. Is it conventional wisdom to add same size speakers to existing rigs?
  12. craig.p

craig.p

Yes, it is conventional wisdom (and technically correct) to add same size speakers in an identical enclosure come expansion time, when the cabs are going to be covering the same frequency range. Don't put a 210 with it. Just buy a second 153 when you're ready to expand. I suggested to Avatar that they offer a flipped-baffle-board version for upside-down stacking, but I never got a response from them.
  13. Holmes

Holmes

Thanks, much appreciated.
  14. BigGuns

BigGuns

Ordered my TB153 today!
  15. rpsands

rpsands

Per the last thread, Dave will reverse the baffle on these for you if you specify at ordering -- so if you want to get two, get one reversed baffle and stack it upside down on the other one.
  16. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    So I already have a avatar 210 that i run with a 115, i.d like one of these cabs. would it be better to get a 8 ohm and have the op of runnin with the 210 or just ditch the 210 and get a 4ohm?
  17. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    And if you are ordering a new one, get a reversed baffle, will expand your potential market if you don't like it, and can add the more common standard baffle later when one comes up second hand. I know everyone won't take the advice, so those that do are on to a winner
  18. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

That is a fantastic idea!
  19. fishinmuzician

fishinmuzician Supporting Member

Just received it a couple days ago and have been breaking it in before the wife gets home. First impressions are very positive. Full, clear, and LOUD! First gig will be tomorrow night with the Mesa and a P. I"ve been playing through Acme Low-B2s for quite a while and I'm sure it will take a bit for my ears to get used to the differences. I'll try to A/B the cabs in the garage tomorrow if I get some time, but again, I like what I've heard so far. I also hooked up my MB200 and have to agree with a lot of the previous posts that say you don't need to have massive power for this cab to sound good. That little amp and this cab get a lot louder and fuller than I thought possible. More impressions Sunday after the gig ...
  20. lbwdog

lbwdog

Depending on how loud you play, you'll probably be ok either way. The volume difference from 4 to 8 ohms will be barely noticeable, so 8 ohm if you plan to combine another cab.
    On the other hand, this cab is really it's own self contained system, so the need for a second cab might not be a factor (unless you play earbleed volumes), since that 3015LF will just plain kill, and the 6.5" will take up the midrange slack. In that case, a 4 ohmer will let your amp deliver a few more watts.

Personally, I like 8 ohms for the versatility though.