1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tbirdsp, Jan 15, 2014.

1. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I just bought one of these cabs used. Speakers are Eminence Detlalite2 2512NEO. Nice cab - but the tone seems very "dark" for lack of a better word. I've tried several different heads.
    I have usually been playing through a single Genz Benz Focus 115 (although I have two of them) with the tweeter off. I'm not much of a tweeter guy, so I have mostly just left the one on the B212 off too.

Just wondered what others have experienced with these cabs...

The reason I bought it is so I would have something with more cone area (volume) than one 15 for when I don't want to drag both 115 cabs.
  2. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

I owned an Avatar 2x12 years ago, but they weren't the neo variety. They do sound dark unless you use your tweeter OR adjust your EQ. Your EQ will have to be slightly adjusted if you were using 15's and now using 12's.
  3. tbirdsp

Thanks for the reply. I of course expected to have to change my EQ, just not this much:D
  4. brocco

brocco

I use 2 1x12 (old EV design light weight cabs) with 2512 neo's and A Carvin BX500.Love it and will not use anything else now.
  5. DRafalske

DRafalske

I have a B212 Neo in 4ohm that I use with my SVT. I wouldn't call it a dark sounding cab, but it's definitely got some emphasis to the low end, at least to my ears. I usually run my tweeters at 50%, but I find myself turning the one on this cab up a bit more. I'm also cutting bass and midbass frequencies a little on the amp to get a sound I like. FWIW I'm playing either a PBass or 4003 through the rig. I'd probably prefer a sealed cab, but I'm happy with the Avatar
  6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Yeah I would say my SB112 is voiced for rock/blues and the B212 is similar. The B210 is better for pop'n slap, jazz, etc...
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Avatar's OEM version of the Deltalite is very different from Eminences stock version it's based on. Has a heavier cone, can take a little bit more pounding down low, but loses a fair amount of topend because of it. Also has a bit of a harsher sound somewhere in the upper midrange, well below what we'd call "treble" to my ear (I have a couple of each kind here).

Not a lot you can do other than add in a little bit of tweeter. The cones don't really reach high enough to meet where the tweeter comes in. They are good candidates for crossing over to a paper cone midrange speaker or guitar speaker to play the uppermids and highs. They can put out a pretty good wallop in the lows and lowmids.
  8. tbirdsp

Thanks guys. will33 - that is a very good description of what I'm hearing. It's not "bad" mind you - just requires WAY different EQ to get a sound I like vs my Genz 115.

The cab is fairly light and loud - should be good for live stuff when I don't want to bring 2 x 115 cabs.