1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Avatar SB112? Need some reviews.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by shawshank72, Feb 8, 2014.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

A small shop near my mom is willing to sell (2) SB112's for 350$ out the door.
    Im going back home to canada next weekend and am seriously thinking of buying them and taking them with me.
    Want to hear from people who have played them in live/rehearsal settings and how they are sound wise and reliability wise.
  2. cableguy

cableguy

Never played that model Avatar. But my friend has a 410 avatar that sounds great. Although he picked it up for $250.
  3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I take it these are used? ... how old, and what drivers? .. I used to have a couple SB112's with the Delta LF's and they went very deep, but I actually preferred the B210 Delta cabs (over the neo's) for more mid-presence ... no experience with the neo's in the SB112's
  4. shawshank72

Used yes but in near perfect condition.
    Its the Delta 12LF.
  5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I have the NEO SB112 in Blue Tolex and like it a lot. It can handle rehearsals all by itself. I'd say it's voiced more for rock'n blues because it's bigger than most 112's plus it's ported (deeper lows).

The tweeter has an attenuator which I leave on full. Two of them for that price is a steal if they are in good shape. Drop a 500w - 700w microhead on them and you'll have a gig-able little stack.
  6. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

That's a good price. They do tend to be mid-shy. As is under discussion in another active thread [12/6/1 cabinets?], you can replace the tweeter with a 6" midrange. (Search my threads as well.) It's a pretty easy mod and turns these cabs into monsters.
  7. shawshank72

Sounds interesting.
  8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I like what you did, but I still like the cab with the tweeter. It's not as clear as my DRB 1260 (3-way) of course, but it's got a good rockin sound to it.
  9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Go to the Avatar owners club and search there. Lots of good reviews of that cab.
  10. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

I had one of those. Solidly constructed, very usable tone and easy enough to move. The tone has a nice beef to it. Two of them would be plenty to compete with a loud drummer, and at $350 are a very safe purchase.
  11. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

I've lost a good deal of my high-freq hearing over the years, so my opinions regarding tweeters are probably suspect. :) Anyway - there's enough room in these cabinets to keep the tweeter and add a 6" midrange driver.
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I have one that I bought years ago... It's a decent little 112, but nothing spectacular. I've considered dropping in a mid from time to time for fun. It's a bit boxy sounding in stock condition.