Avella Coppolo 6751 VS De Gier Bebop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkyfretless, Nov 27, 2012.

1. funkyfretless

funkyfretless Supporting Member

hey guys,

i am looking into getting a vintage type j bass. i dont like preamps and i prefer the older style fender j basses.

i dont have the bread to spend on a vintage j and i am looking for a budgeted alternative... i am looking at either a de gier bebop or avella coppolo's budget bass, the 6751.

i am looking for something that will cop this vibe. i have read a lot about the ac bass and really like their mission statement. i have also listened to the bebop basses as well and i love their sound, however i can't find anyone besides richard bona that is playing it...

i am curious if anyone has played both of them and can compare the two.

thanks,
    evan
  2. BassAgent

BassAgent

I have played a few Bebops and they're fantastic :) They're not very well known outside The Netherlands, but quite a few well-known players here use Bebops. Marcus Miller owns one as well, IIRC...

I can't really find much info or pics about the 6751. There's no pic on the AC website... I know that AC's are fantastic basses but I think the Bebop sound a little more vintage.
  3. KJung

KJung

Not familiar with the BeBop. Love my A-C, but the wait time is VERY long now.

You night want to check out the Suhr basses. TB supporter 'Rocket Music' (they have their own page on this site) sells them. Great shop, and they are about as 'vintage pure and passive' as it gets.
  4. funkyfretless

funkyfretless Supporting Member

cool thanks for the help so far... anybody else?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Another consideration would be a Bluesman Vintage. They are terrific basses and very much period correct replicas of the older Fenders.
  7. mgbass

mgbass

I just added a Bluesman Vintage to the flock and love it.
    Great P bass. Light, great tone, slimmer neck.
    Love it so far, great builder and great instrument.
  8. ricksy

ricksy

9. NYJimmy

NYJimmy

Disclosures:
    president of Alleva-Coppolo Basses and Guitars

Hey KJung, I am booked solid but your post is misleading because there is always the possibility that I have an order change or a show piece available. Such as this case I do have something that will work for Funky Fretless. I'm not looking to sensor you, certainly support you helping folks out and I am all for you recomending John Suhr's bass especially since John is one of my best friends and builds some of the finest musical instruments but please don't hurt me in the process. Funky Fretless did specify what he is looking for and I do have something for him. So Funky Fretless please call me at the shop if you are still interested.
    -Jimmy Coppolo
    Alleva-Coppolo Basses
  10. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

The AC preamp might change your mind on that!:bag:
  11. KJung

KJung

I'm sure the OP would contact you to see what you have in stock.

If he was looking for a 5 string with a preamp that vibed a classic Fender, it would be all you or Carey Norstrand IMO, and worth the wait. For his specific spec/requirements, the Suhr's are readily available through Rocket Music and others, and from what I can see, that is basically what he does (passive 'vintage sounding and feeling' 4 strings).

Also, you're welcome for the 400 or 500 positive posts that I've posted on the A-C threads that you didn't choose to comment on for the last 5 years or so:p:bag:
  12. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    If you want real vintage passive tone and feel. The NORD is NOT what you would want... Alleva Or Suhr are the way to go in that respect.... The Nord pups are very upper harmonic grainy and hard sounding to my ears.. Many people prefer that or are used to that though..
    However, the Nordy build quality is very good.
    But from my experience in recording these things, ( nordy, Alleva, Fender , Sadowsky, Lull, Fodera etc. the Nordy is more like an unrefined Sadowsky tone wise. And if you want a Vintaeg feel / tone , you dont want a Nordy. Period!

That said, The 6571 is built in the same building as the other Allevas by Jimmy and Sebnem...
    I have gigged the 6571 4 string and it sounded real similar to my old 60s J bass... The 6571 was a little lighter in weight than my '64 J.... But close enough...

The Suhr Basses are great too... The ones that i have played vary alot in weight... from low to high.. But are all built in CA and from scratch , and not from parts or kits.. Great basses... I owned one back in the early 90s and should have not let it go.
  13. KJung

KJung

The Nordstrand 'classic' wound 60's and 70's single coils change that dynamic a bit, and are much closer to the Suhr/A-C thing than the Sadowsky. The one piece skunk stripe necks are pretty cool also.

+1 though, for a passive, 4 string 60's era J, that seems to be the Suhr sweet spot for me, and I'm sure Jimmy's version kills also.
  14. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I don't think Jimmy was unappreciative of your 400 - 500 positive posts... Is it closer to 500 than 400? :D

I think he is plainly saying that you should NOT ASSUME that just because he has a long waiting list for his basses, there will be times where there will be an opening...
    And by saying something as you said, is steering away a potential customer since you do not having ALL the updated info.

15. KJung

KJung

:D Hence the smiley on my post. I was just ribbin' him a bit:p. Hey, those NY/Brooklyn guys can take a little s***, that's why I like 'em.

His point, obviously, is valid, and I hope the OP gets one of Jimmy's basses in his hands.
  16. narud

narud Supporting Member

****ing hilarious exchange. *** ken. pfft, all the cool kids are playing moollon basses now anyway for fender copies. your list is so 5 years ago.:smug:

;)
  17. KJung

KJung

:p:D Good to see you around here Joe! I hope you are well!
  18. narud

narud Supporting Member

you too man! tmz has probably been my first net stop lately over talkbass.
  19. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    ''Avella''............

nonononono!
    Alleva!

Great stuff.
  20. Dave Hill

Dave Hill

lol
  21. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

The Alleva's as far as Vintage fender will be hard to beat. The amazing thing is even the budget ones sound so like his more expensive. In fact many players play the LM's etc in passive mode. Also Jimmy's basses are so hands on when being built. They are amazing and you won't be disappointed. Its funny I remember when he re fretted my old Musicman where a lot of the paint is off, finger oils in the fret board, I mean it was mojo all over it. He took it and hugged it because it was so vintage looking. I mean its vintage all the way with him. I can't say enough about Jimmy and his quest for vintage sounding instruments. I recently saw Marcus on youtube playing Jimmy's bass. It was Marcus sound. His 70's basses as well as his 60's basses are wonderful pieces of work. I love my LM5.