1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Avoiding getting shocked?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heterochrome, Jan 5, 2013.

1. heterochrome

heterochrome

Hey all,

I've been building an aluminum bass on and off for about a year, and I'm hoping to finish it before January is out. It's made from aluminum L-beams, epoxy, bolts, nuts, an old bass bridge, a guitar bridge, metal tuners, and a very small amount of MDF (composite wood).

I'm looking to hook up electronics, and I'm curious if the materials used would pose a hazard any more than normal bass materials would. I'm all for being "electrifying" on stage, just not "electrified" :D.

2. SnowCal

SnowCal

I can't see any issues. The bass might not live up to your hopes, it's experimental, but it shouldn't shock you. The voltages that the bass itself sees aren't close to high enough. Ever licked a 9v battery.

3. line6man

line6man

The would be the same as with any other bass that has grounded strings.

4. line6man

line6man

The concern is generally one of two things:

1. Using equipment on different phases, such that the bass' ground is not at the same potential as other grounds you make come into contact with, such as microphone grilles. This is a legitimate concern with improperly wired/set up gear.

2. The possibility of a tube amp's high voltage B+ supply shorting to the control grid of a directly-coupled input, and the player somehow coming into contact with it, perhaps through grounded pole pieces on an improperly wired pickup. This is the only sort of "gear malfunction" scenario I can think of right now. It's not a legitimate concern, IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    There are quite a few aluminum instruments out there, and no one has been electrocuted yet just because they are made from metal.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Use a wireless system.

8. Hactar

Hactar

It's not going to be any dangerous than any other bass guitar out there.
    If your amp is very miswired or your mains supply has a massive fault, then yes, you have a problem. But that problem is not inherent to the aluminium bass; you would still be vulnerable no matter what the bass.