1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

AVRI 58 Precision questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kalanb, Nov 6, 2013.

1. kalanb

kalanb

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a blonde 58 Precision at Guitar Center. I was looking at the pickups under the cover, and the poles under the A string were raised 1/8 of an inch, while all the others were flush with the pickup covers. Is this normal with these pickups? I couldn't find any good pictures on google.

The bass also had a slight dead-spot on the usual spot, right around the 8th and 9th fret on the G string. Has anyone else experienced this on these basses?

Thanks
  2. geddy402

geddy402 Supporting Member

I think the raised pole piece is "vintage correct." Meaning that was a specific thing to the 58 (and maybe 57 and 59).

Not sure if you check out the hot deals section of the forum but if you're thinking about picking one up one new email forums@musiciansfriend.com and mention talkbass. They might hook you up with a great deal...and maybe use it as negotiating with GC.
  3. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

My 2012 '57 has them, too.

What's the specific name for this pickup model?
  4. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

I think it's this:

Attached Files:

5. kalanb

kalanb

Thanks for the responses.

What are people's thoughts on the whole first 46 neckplate? This bass has one. It's kinda cool, but does anyone think it will enhance the value down the road?
  6. geddy402

I don't know. I would guess that it probably won't effect price down the road. I've seen some pop up on the classifieds here and they didn't seem to pull more money or attention because of the neck plate. Don't really know what the significance of 46 is though....
  7. kalanb

kalanb

Pulled the trigger. When I went to the store this morning the salesman told me through the weekend you get an extra 15% off if you had a trade in. That brought the price down to 1700, plus they gave me 650 credit for my old Tobias killer B. which took it down to $1050.

It had a couple of small dings, so they added a bit more to the trade in value. They weren't able to take anything more than the 15%.

I'm happy with the deal I got. And despite some of the GC horror stories, my salesman was great ; he let the bass sell itself and was real easy to work with.
  8. geddy402

Great work man! Enjoy it, I heard they're great basses!