1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

AVRI 63 vs 62 P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP1886, Feb 22, 2014.

1. JP1886

JP1886

If you could get either for the same price and assuming both are in the same condition which one would you go with? How different are the necks? Does the fretboard (slab vs round laminated) affect sound or playability? Do they sound pretty much the same? I dont have the option to try them out.

2. mazdah

mazdah

3. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    I too would enjoy some detailed, head-to-head comparisons, even though I rather doubt I will be abandoning the 62 AVRI P anytime soon, as that model is my favorite player and sonically exactly what works for me. Nevertheless, always down for a good shoot-out, and this one has not been covered exhaustively on TB.

4. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

I'll explain soon... but, I'm about to sell my '62...

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393107085.041625.jpg

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    I see from your other thread that the 62 you intend to sell is Japanese-made. No shame in that, certainly -- they are great guitars. But there are also a number of sub-models amongst the Japanese reissues, with different price points and different components - and this muddies the waters so far as a straight shoot-out between the American made reissues is concerned.

7. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

A couple folks who own both posted their thoughts in the thread(s) about the new AV series.

I haven't played a '63 RI, but from what I gather the neck on the '63 is a bit thicker front-back and has a veneer board. The pickup is also voiced slightly different, and the finish is thinner.

8. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

If it was me, I'd probably go for a late model '62 AVRI. I bought my '62 back in 07 I believe, and it's my #1 bass, has been since the day I bought it, although, my modded '62 Jazz is pretty much on equal footing with it now, it's just what I feel like playing at any given time. Anyways, the '62s are fantastic instruments, and I really like the stock pickups they come with, especially with roundwounds. I have played a '63 in the store, so it's not quite head to head with the '62, but here's what I thought: excellent bass, fit and finish are beautiful, really top notch. I far prefer the neck tint, or rather lack thereof, on the '63 compared to the more orange tint on the older AVRIs. The pickup is voiced a little differently, but I didn't feel there was a big difference, sounds like a P-bass, you know? I also haven't played them through the same amp, so take that with a grain of salt. The only thing I did not like about the '63 was the neck. I love nitro finished necks (two other AVRIs, you know?), but it just felt a bit...cluncky compared to my '62. The '62 is pretty flat/thin back to front, even with the slab board, but wide at the nut at 1.75". The '63 is 1.75" as well, but it's a bit thicker back to front, and that was something I immediately recognized. Could I get used to it? Sure, no problem, but it is a noticeable difference between the two. As to why I said late-model (2012) AVRI is because that last year has VERY thin nitro. I personally suspect they switched over to the new AVRI finishing process on the last year, as it is paper thin on my 2012 '62 Jazz, far thinner than on my '07 Precision, and that's one of the major draws on the '63, the thin skin as it were. Although the '63 does come in some really pretty colours....

9. Gbass75

I get all of that... and I played several AVRI 62s... The Japanese built instrument was the superior bass when played against the 4 American made basses I'd tried. And, I saved money for a few minor mods.

10. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

I prefer the 62.

the new avri series have a weak tint on the neck.

11. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    The '63 has a more accurate neck and pups, and is more comfortable to me. I never really liked the feel of the '62, but loved the sound. I love the '63.

12. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    If your Japanese made 62RI is superior to any AVRI 62, then I should think you would hold on to it rather than sell it.

I see from your other post that you also own a '63 reissue, and that you are NOT selling that one.

So returning the thread to topic, your vote, presumably, is for the ultimate superiority of the '63 AVRI over '62's of either US or Japanese manufacture...

13. Gbass75

The Japanese made '62 was better than the other American '62s that I played... but, let's be clear... I didn't mean it was better than any-and-every American made 62. There are many fantastic AVRI 62s out there... I just didn't find one when it was my time to buy.

And, yes... my new '63 bests them ALL; and so that is the bass I will keep.

I know lots of guys and gals don't like the super-chunky neck; but I love it!

14. Gbass75

...and I never liked the orange tint.

To each his own!

15. Sugar McGuinn

Sugar McGuinn Supporting Member

I can weigh in here, as I've owned/used a 62 for quite a few years and purchased a 63 a few months ago.

Let me first state overall, that this is my opinion regarding everything I'm about to say, so that I don't have to follow every line with a qualifier... Also, these basses both have TI flats on them, and always have. I have no idea of the tones/playability of these basses with rounds on them.

First off, these 2 basses aren't really comparable. Not any more comparable than say a 62 and an AM Standard P-bass. Seriously, different neck, different pickups, different finish... What else is there to make a P-bass "different." The only things I can find that they both have in common (that aren/t common to all AM P-Basses) are:

1. They are both in the AVRI Line
    2. They both have Reverse Tuners

That's pretty much where the similarities stop.

But if we must...
    The 62.
    As others have said, the neck is quite thin (front to back) and is really wide at the nut (1.75"!!). which at first takes some getting use to. IMO, the sound of the 62 is the most unique of all the P-basses, it's broad, airy, and has a dry/crisp(?) quality to it. You immediately know that you are hearing something different. I can totally see why Jamerson preferred to roll-on the bass on his B-15. Overall, I found I couldn't quite coax the tone out of it that I was wanting on the band-stand... That being said, in the studio, plugged in direct, the tone is heaven. Mine is so light that it has neck dive, which is a deal-breaker for me and ultimately relegated it to the studio.

The 63
    Is the best Fender bass I've ever heard/played (and I'm not alone in this opinion). It's light, yet perfectly balanced. The tone is the P-bass tone I have in my head, yet sweeter somehow, on both ends. It's buttery and syrupy, but with a "weight" to the tone that is enveloping, and still never dark or cloudy. I use a lot of back-lines, which are sometimes pretty terrible amps (Line-6 the other day, for example) and so far I can't make the bass sound bad. The bass has the kind of tone and playability that make me a better player. We all know what that's like...

I'm not afraid to say it, the 63 is a better bass, overall, for me. Sure, the 62 has the mystique, and I'll even agree that it is the better looking of the 2, finish-wise, but honestly, can you tell a 62 from a 63 on the band-stand visually... (if that matters to you)... You might be able to tell by the amount of mistakes being made across that 1.75" neck!! :help: <grin>

Am I going to sell my 62? Of course not. Is it going to many see gigs, probably not. The 63 is my main gigging bass for the foreseeable future.:bassist:

To the OP. If you couldn't tell from the post above. The 63 is what I would choose. No question.

bassgod76 likes this.
  16. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    Very interesting comparison, thank you!

17. Gbass75

I enjoyed that post! Good read!

18. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    GBass75, which MIJ (CIJ?) model of 62 do you have? What are the specs, and the upgrades? Have you listed it in the classifieds yet?

19. KennethB

KennethB

The minute I plugged in my '63 and played I knew the '62 was ending up on the block. Sounds better and feels way better. The neck on the '62 was, to me, very uncomfortable when playing for say over 30 min. For such a wide neck to be so thin is very strange feeling. The '63's neck is fatter which suits the width, and give my hand the proper support. So everything flows better and I feel like I don't have to fight the neck. My '63 is also slightly lighter and resonates more than what my '62 did, but this might have been the luck of the draw. The '62 is still a great bass I think. But I sold mine last week. :bassist:

20. Gbass75

More to come on these questions... stay tuned!!!

21. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I've got a '62AVRI that I just love with LaBella's on it.

I liked the comparisons in this thread and can't wait to try out a '63.

But, I have to wonder now how the '63 would compare to the Pino and the CS '59 (like Scott Devine's: )