1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

AVRI P neck on American Standard body? + Can this be fixed?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MicG, Mar 6, 2014.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Alright I've got a question:

Can "nitro burn" be fixed? I mean does it stain right down to the wood? Could this be sanded out?

[​IMG]

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it should fit fine, but i'd rather have the american standard neck with its rounder shape, graphite rod reinforcements and thicker headstock to fix twisting and dead spots.

the finish blems from using the wrong hangars are gonna need re-finishing to really go away.

3. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Alright so how much am I looking at for a refin? Is it the whole neck that would need it?

Thanks

edit: I took out one of the original questions from my post which is why the previous poster mentioned an american standard neck.

4. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

I would like to bump this question to see if there's anymore input out there?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lindsey

Lindsey

Nitro is pretty easy to remove with solvents, unlike poly paints, so a refin on the neck alone shouldn't be too expensive. Go to the Luthiers section and see if there is anyone in your area that will take it on. If you are feeling adventurous, Reranch sells a complete line of nitro in rattle cans. I've used the clear and vintage tinted clear on a neck with very good results.

7. Lindsey

Lindsey

Oh, and as you've learned, don't put a nitro finished bass anywhere near rubber or plastic covered stands for at least a year so they have time to properly cure and become non reactive. I cover my stands with white terry towel material to prevent nitro burn even then you have to be careful with a new finish because the cloth can leave impressions in a finish which has not fully cured.