1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Aw, man... I think I just voided the warranty!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engine207, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

So, I've had this '08 Fender 70's Classic Jazz, since new. It's been my main squeeze since the day I got it. I mainly like the thickness of its neck and the classic Jazz Bass tone. But a few weeks ago, I picked up a Yamaha BB424X. I just fell in love with the almost unfinished feel of its neck. I've been playing the 424 just about every day since. Great, great bass.

Well, I picked up the Jazz to run through a practice and I immediately noticed that I didn't like the feel of its neck anymore. It's plenty fat the way it was before, but the back didn't feel as comfy as the Yammy.

So I did it. I voided the warranty.

Spent about 10 min. with a 220-grit...sanding. I'm not really too worried about the warranty, since there's about zero humidity here. But now, I don't know when my other finished-neck basses will get played, unless I sand theirs, too. I'm not too worried about any devaluing, since I don't have any real expensive stuff...well, except for my '80 Ric 4001. I might not really jack with that one, although its already got a Hipshot bridge, Ric replacement keywinds, and StrapLocks. But then again...I might.

Anybody else void theirs?
  2. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

As a recovering amp and instrument modifier, warranties mean nothing to me. If it breaks, I'm the one who broke it, and I'm the one who will fix it.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I wouldn't call it voiding a warranty, but yes. I knock down glossy finished necks with #0000 steel wool until it's more of a satin feel. After a fair amount of playing it usually goes back to a glossy feel only to get hit with the steel wool again.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Heh. Had a satin finish on the neck of my 2002 Precision. Thought it novel.

10+ years later, it's worn smooth & glossy.
  5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Coated glossy necks are a detriment to best playing eaze. they allways have a sense of draggynes to them.
  6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money... Supporting Member

I doubt the warranty on a five years old bass is still in force. I wouldn't worry about it.
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I don't understand why you guys are sanding on your necks. Are you dragging your whole hand down the damn thing or just your thumb?
  8. rfslick

rfslick

9. Bobster

Bobster

10. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 I'm curious about that also I must be missing something?
  11. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

I did this to my Road Worn P last week. It was already a bit worn, but I love the feel of a super worn in neck.

To the ones wondering about technique, I play my bass fairly low and I have pretty bad left hand technique. My thumb is almost always hanging over the top of the neck lol, so yes, I do drag my hand down the neck.
  12. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

I guess I am dragging my whole hand. I tend to like big, fat, baseball-bat necks that kinda conform to and fill the space between my palm and my fingers. I didn't realize how wrong I was. Is it too late to learn the right way? :meh:

I once had a beautiful Ibby BTB 5er, but the neck was so thin, that the only way I could play it was to hold my thumb in the place where my palm goes. It was a dealbreaker, despite how nice the bass was made (and sounded). I wound up getting a fat-necked Jazz V.
  13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

It's never too late. I expect your span will increase greatly once you untether your hand from the neck. I would imagine anyway.
  14. awilkie84

awilkie84

My thumb is the only part of my hand touching the back of my neck, and I still prefer a satin neck. Less stick & more slide.
  15. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

The problem with a glossy neck is variable drag. Hands nice and dry with low humidity - great. Hands sweaty and/or high humidity - not so much.

A satin or oil finish seems to smooth this variable out - and make your playing more consistent and problem free - (YMMV). [if you are dragging your whole hand down the damn thing or just your thumb.]

(And here is something else to just blow off - the 2012 AmStd Fenders got a new neck treatment {and I'm hoping the 2013's too} --- that is simply amazing. If you try one you won't have any questions)

:cool:
  16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Never had any issues, regardless of heat, humidity or whatever. You don't grab it like it's your **** man, lighten up a little.
  17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Just the thumb.

For me, a satin or unfinished neck feels much better than any gloss neck.
  18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I get that. Personal preference and everything. Would you actually take a piece of sandpaper or 0000 to your neck though? :eyebrow:
  19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Easier to just sand your thumb. lol
  20. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I hear pineapple juice does the trick!