1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Awesome make ahead dinners!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sandmangeck, Feb 7, 2014.

1. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

So my wife and I have two kids. I work 0800 to 1630 and she works 1300 to 2130. It's difficult sometimes for me to pick the kids up from daycare and make it home in time to make a nice meal. Homework, baths, quality time etc.
    What are some healthy, delicious crock pot quick prep meals that would satisfy you and the kids?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Casseroles and enchiladas are the make-ahead mainstays at my house. There's a delicata squash enchilada and a turkey noodle casserole in particular that are always a hit. I'll try to find recipes and link them soon.

For crock pot, bean chili and meat-veg-bean stew are solid choices.

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Liver, bacon and beans.

Cut the liver (about a pound) up into bite size chunks, do the same with the thick cut back bacon (same quantity). Pour a big can of baked beans over the meat, put a couple of knobs of butter on top to stop the whole thing drying out and then bake it on low to medium heat for an hour or so (it should be bubbling). You can reheat it in the microwave for quick and easy later.

Try it, you'll thank me.

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

This one's ridiculously easy and will please the young'uns. Put about 2 lbs. of boneless chicken breast in your slow cooker with two cans of orange soda and a cup of soy sauce, and cook on low all day. Serve over rice with a salad, or with one of those steam-in-bag vegetables they have in the frozen food section.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

My wife gets ideas from Pinterest. She will prepare a months worth of meals over a weekend and freeze them. Most are Crockpot ready so she will take out the frozen meal let it sit out all night to thaw. put it in the programmable crockpot and we get home the meal is ready.

7. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

Liver, Liver are you serious?

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Put a pork butt in the crock pot, and let it go on low all day.

Use it for carnitas, or burritos the first night or two, then pull it into strings and heat it up in a pan with a bottle of barbecue sauce for pork BBQ, or add some to a can of beans for pork and beans, or sauté an onion and some garlic in a stick of butter, add a 24 oz can of San Marzano tomatoes, cook for a half hour or so until it thickens a bit, toss in some cooked pork, and toss with pasta.

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

Add a bit of coke (seriously) and you can make some really nice slow cooker pulled pork.

10. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Always used Dr Pepper, rather than Coke.

lowsound

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Root beer works mighty fine too.

12. Thrust Meatnozl

Thrust Meatnozl

Coke always kills my appetite. Wait, what? It is? Oh. Sorry, forget it...