1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Awesome question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pappasgrind, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind Supporting Member

Both my pickups are the same size so ordering say 2 bridge pickups isn't going to affect the tone in anyway right?or does it.......

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

What kind of pickups are they?

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Even if the pickup casing is the same size, bridge and neck pickups are often wound to different specifications.

Though there's certainly nothing stopping you putting two bridge pickups in there, you'll still obviously get a difference in tone due to the difference in location.

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Well, if you're talking about single coils, they will be out of phase, which makes for a thin, wimpy tone (imo), as well as single coil hum. Im not sure if hum-canceling pups would work, because I *think* the phasing would still be an issue.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pappasgrind

It's my bacchus 5 I'm contemplating putting an emg jax set. The difference in size is literally .xx mm so it's almost nothing but I'd hate to be wrong. Wish there was somewhere I could take it to compare pups that would be rad

7. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

They will only be out of phase if you wire them out of phase. They will most likely not be a reverse wind/reverse polarity pair, though, which means no hum cancelling. Someone here on TB (Hopkins, maybe?) posted a way to make a device that reverses the magnetic polarity of pickup poles. I've never done that, but it should be helpful for reducing hum.

Another option is to purchase two bridge-sized humbuckers (like Dimarzio Area J's or Model J's) and install them. That works fine, but only if you want humbuckers.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

My Spector uses two neck sized pickups. It came with EMGs which I replaced with DiMarzio Area J's. Both work fine with no phasing issues.

9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

If phase is an issue, just swap the + and - of one of the pickups around.

(on my somewhat experimental bass I added a switch to do just that, so I could switch between in and out of phase, granted, a waste of a switch :p )

10. Pappasgrind

Ok so as long as it's not that big of an issue now my beef is making sure it actually fits here's what I'm working with:
    3 11/16 long
    3/4 wide
    Screw length 1 5/8
    Screw width 7/8

The specs emg sent me are:
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1395433622.495543.jpg

11. Hopkins

Wait, you have a regular set of Long/short Jazz pickups already? Or the two pickups in your bass are both bridge pickups?

12. Pappasgrind

The pups that it came with are the same size

13. Rob22315

Rob22315

There's nothing wrong with swapping pickups around locations so you should feel free to experiment if your cavities will allow you to do this. Reshaping pickup cavities is a permanent decision so choose wisely if you go this route. (pun intended)

Pickups are voiced to match the location in which they're installed so two bridge pickups will sound different than a neck and a bridge pickup.

That said, voicing is done to get the maximum 'benefit' from the tonal opportunities available in each location so you're losing some flexibility by mismatching. More specifically - bridge pickups voiced to emphasize the fundamental and neck pickups designed to emphasize mids. By swapping the installation, you'll voice the bridge location to emphasize mids and the neck location to emphasize the fundamental making the two locations sound more alike.

The SGD guy claims that Ibanez does this position swap sometimes to provide a more even sound between the two pickups (I have no hands-on experience with this). I'd prefer to have the two pickups positioned to provide the broadest set of tone options then use the blend knob or tone switches to get something in-between when I want it.

14. Pappasgrind

I play with the bride solo'd so maybe 2 would add more oomph? Someone let me borrow a set of emg jax pups please make this easier on my stunted mind

15. Hopkins

This is bad information. Usually the bridge pickup is wound SLIGHTLY hotter than the neck pickup because the string movement lessens the closer you get to its anchor points. The magnet material and wire type and gauge will always be the same. The tonal difference in a matched set is 99 percent determined by the pickup position.

16. Rob22315

Rob22315

You'll have to split the difference with me on this one. Some manufacturers (SGD and Bartolini to name two) voice the pickups differently. It's not just how hot they are.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/neck-vs-bridge-pickup-voicing-777930/

17. Hopkins

David is not 1% of the overall pickup market. Barts are just overwound at the bridge position, they are built with the same materials. There are exceptions, but the vast majority of pickup makers do it like I described.

18. Pappasgrind

Well I'm not interested in David or Bart so any advice towards my emg jax size dilemma would be appreciated

19. Hopkins

The JAX is an active hum canceling pickup, so if you get two JAX bridge pickups you should have no problems. From the EMG specs they seem to both be the same pickup just in different covers.

20. Pappasgrind

21. Hopkins

No problem, let us know how everything works out, and how you like the pickups when you get them installed