AXE-FX II and JDI DI BOX

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by trident, Nov 3, 2013.

1. trident

trident

Hey guys,

For recording in studio true direct application, is it necessary to use DI box with AXE-FXII? or the Axe-Fx will work best all by itself and I should get rid off radial DI box out of the equation?
    and 2nd question, what is your input about live climate? do you think I should use AXE with DI? and take the line out from AXE to the input of DI and finally XLR to PA system? or should I use the AXE by itself in live?

Thanks buddies:)

2. IamJohn

IamJohn

I can't speak from first hand experience, but my old guitarist went straight into the PA and it sounded great.

I don't see what the DI would do since everything is modeled in the AXE-FX II.

3. trident

trident

Yes, you're right! you know I thought it could be better to use the radial DI separately in terms of quality you know! to be honest with you, I'd bought the JDI before purchasing the AXE and I just was looking for a way to use it; otherwise it would be useless for me and I should throw it away! so just to make sure, I understand you clearly, you say, I should use simply the AXE in live and in studio, is that right, sir?

4. IamJohn

IamJohn

Yes, that's what my guitarist did. If you want to get fancy for recording you can get a reamp box too so you can mess around with different amps/effects on the same track.

Bass > Reamp Box > output 1 to DAW interface / output 2 to amp (or AxeFx)

And I wouldn't throw out the radial when there are so many deserving players who would love to have one.

:bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. trident

trident

Thank you for your advising, so is there any chances of knowing your recommendation of a good Reamp Box for bass?

7. IamJohn

IamJohn

I don't have any personal experience with a reamp box, but I'd ask around on the recording board, or search for some threads. I'm sure there's tons of good recommendations on there.

8. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

The AxefxII is USB equipped for digital recording straight out of the unit without the need for a direct box (with the appropriate driver necessary for DAW recording, available via the fractal audio website). If you are interfacing in any way with a traditional live or recording desk, there are L&R XLR outputs from the Axefx. No need for any direct box at all. You do need to know that these are line level outputs, rather than mic level, and thus are "hot" by comparison. Your board will need to have a 20 or 30db pad to minimize the likelihood of overdriving the channel strip preamp.

go to fractal audio's web site and download the owners manual, or go to their forum for a look-see.

Reamping is also possible in the pure digital domain via USB with the AxefxII. http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Reamping

9. trident

trident

I much appreciate you for your comprehensive advice! I checked it out and thank you again:), it was such a great aspect of AXE-FXII! you were cause me to read the owners manual thoroughly!

10. TimmyP

TimmyP

If you are feeding a mixing console that has only a master phantom switch, it might be wise to have a DI or isolation transformer, just in case the AXE-FX's outputs are not as phantom proof as they should be.

It's also wise to have a DI or Iso in case there's a ground loop hum.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I'd imagine the Axe-FX has a superb DI. The Jensen transformers in the Radials seem to cut the more extreme lows and highs of the source - at least they seem to do that according to my ears. I think that would be kind of self-defeating since the Fractal Audio unit is basically a very complex preamp and FX unit (no pun intended).

M old guitarist used to use his DI out of his SansAmp PSA-1 all of the time. Whenever we'd start working with a new sound engineer, my guitarist would tell him just to take a DI off of his preamp. They'd usually be skeptical but would comply. After the gig, the engineer was almost always blown away by how awesome the DI sounded.

12. jimfist

from the owner/engineer of the AxeFx:

"There are blocking capacitors on the XLR outputs so you should be fine."

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-48v-into-axe-fx2-markii-xlr-inputs-safe.html

13. jimfist

14. trident

trident

As for the Jensen transformers I agree with you to some extend, yes, to my ears it cut the lows, but anyway, I appreciate you for your pieces of information:)

15. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
  16. jimfist

gastric:

Why don't you go to the Fractal Audio Systems forum and take it up with the source of the quote: the owner of the company and creator of the technology used in the AxeFx, Cliff Chase. I understand you want to be technically 100% sure about this. What would indicate that Mr. Chase can be trusted is that in the many years I've been lurking the FAS forum and have owned 2 AxeFx units in many situations involving mixers with phantom power, I've not seen a rash outbreak of people freaked out that a phantom power surge borked their unit. I suppose the possibility may exist, but from what I've seen and read and experienced, this has not been an issue.