Axstar by Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob17, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Rob17

Rob17

:bassist: Well I have this bass, called an "Axstar by Ibanez", it's that pink baby, and I think it deserves a thread on it's own.
    It's very rare, but...not worth much, but there may be people around, searching for info on this one, so IF you have an Axstar, post some pics, tell us everything about it, and it would be apreciated, I think.
    I make some more detailed pics later.
    This is an Axstar from February '86.
    [​IMG]
  2. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Theres a 5er in the classifieds and its been there for quite a while.
  3. Xray66

Xray66

I had the pearl white one. I still have the brochure. It was pretty decent. The bridge broke and at the time, it was hard to find parts for it. So I sold it to some kid.
  4. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

I've owned two, an active and a passive one. I much preferred the passive one. Probably the best production headless bass ever made.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

I own 3 - 1 active 5-string and 2 passive 4's.

I'll second FL Knifemaker's statement - It's a shame Ibanez never found their market for the Axstar before disowning it.
  7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The Axstar is, by almost everyone's standards, a hideous looking bass. Even fans of headless basses can't stand to look at it. As such, there was/is no market for that bass.
  8. Guitarcomet

Guitarcomet

I disagree strongly. The AXB 1000 I have (the fourth version) is quite attractive and modern looking as well as practically designed.
    Every bass player that has ever played mine has raved about it! (I've had several offers, too)
    The active pickup system is among the best I've heard and the bridge/nut is licensed Steinberger, so the quality is top notch.
    The bass is also a very fine piece of workmanship. Smooth, thin neck-thru design. Mine is nearly unplayed (I'm a guitar player). I paid $500 w/case, 20 years ago (used).

[​IMG]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
  9. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

-1 . They look much better than the glorified 2x4 that most Steinbergers had (though the Steinies with bass-shaped bodies were nice).
  10. joenoone

joenoone

I wholeheartedly agree - I have both Steinberger Synapse and an Axstar (both 5-string) and love the styling of the Axstar. The only reason I don't use the Axstar as my main bass is the string spacing is too close for my liking (~11-12mm). It has a great sound and is VERY light weight.
  11. djaydjay

djaydjay

I always had a serious crush on headless basses, the axstar rating quite high for me :)

I just ran on an add for a 5er axstar :eek: I'm seriously thinking about buying it, Switzerland is a country with almost no markt, it would probably take years before I'd run in another one (I'm awaiting a reply, let's just hope she hasn't been sold already)
    I'm obiously here for some advices ^^
    [​IMG]
    here's the bass. He says that she runs on battery, so it's obiously the active model.
    He wants 300$ for it (mind you, prices are really high over here, almost 2 times the prices in america).

one thing bothers me: the bridge saddle are set up extremly high. Could this bass have an intonation problem?

What should I check on that bass wenn I'm going to try it out? Do theses models have specific "problems"?

I have read on another thread that the pickups are guitar pickups. How does this bass handle lower frequencies? I usually tune my bass on the low site (B, sometimes down to A# or even A) and I'm wondering if this could be a problem.

hmmm even better, I really like close strings. Are the 11-12mm at the bridge or at the nut?

I know I'm asking quite much there, thanks guys ^^
  12. jondog

jondog

I don't know the answer to your questions, I'm just jealous because I really want to buy an Axstar 5! Good luck with your purchase :hyper:
  13. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

1) If that picture is the instrument in its current state, it hasn't been intoned at all. The E, A, and D saddles are out of alignment. Check to see that the saddle locking screws (located on the E side of the bridge assembly) are turnable.

2) Look for rounded hex screws of various sizes (located at the locking nut, saddles, and bridge), or bent tuning knobs (inability to turn freely).
    The tool used to adjust the truss rod (in a convenient fashion) looks like a small candle snuffer. Hopefully, it's included in the sale - this adjustment is tedious without it. Also, depending on the player, some oxidization might be seen on the bridge assembly and control knobs due to sweat...more of an esthetic issue.

3) The 5er's pickups were Ibanez' LO-ZB low impedance humbuckers - very hot, lots of bottom.

4) 11-12mm at the nut, IIRC - the 5er model packed the extra string into the same space as a 4-string model.

Hope that helps.
  14. joenoone

joenoone

I recently sold it so I can't measure. As I recall that is at the nut spacing. I mean with that spacing it felt half-way between a bass and a guitar to me, and I play 5 string Basses so some 4-string spacing seems quite wide to me.

The tone was amazing - I had an active one and no problem with the low B.

FYI - It uses a standard L shaped hex wrench - nothing special...
  15. Graphicsmoker

Graphicsmoker

I know this is an old string, but I have one of these and still love to play it. The sound is great, the feel is really comfortable, but the style id just too old, unless I get hooked up with a 80's cover band someday. Bought this baby in 1986-1987 and have sold it to my father many times when money was tight. He always held onto it and eventually gave it back to me again and again. Thanks Dad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Relayer71

Relayer71

That's where that belongs, in the 80s!! :)
  17. MukDriskal

MukDriskal

I own a blue ibanez axstar. I have a problem with one of the tuning knobs, though. Somehow, before I bought it, the screw part bent slightly. Its enough to make it incredibly hard, if not impossible to tune.

Anyone know how I can replace the knob?
  18. MukDriskal

MukDriskal

Found the replacement. Turns out its the same size screw used in some machine guns, a local retailer told me.

No cracks in the body, nothing wrong with it but a few minor scratches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love it.
  19. PitbullofLove

PitbullofLove

Found this puppy on Craigslist last night, went to look at it today, and was offered a deal I couldn't refuse.

It's an Ibanex Axstar AXB50 4 string.

They were made in the mid-80's during the headless bass trend. There's also a 5 string model, one with active humbuckers, and this one with passive humbuckers.

I read a few articles on them before contacting the seller, and most people say the same thing: that the bass is one of the fastest, easiest playing basses they've ever known. They're right.

It's a 34" scale, 24 fret, and has a small body (similar in shape to a Spector actually). The body is Basswood, the neck 1 piece Maple, and the fretboard Rosewood. The humbuckers are really hot to be passive, and the tone is quite nice; the controls are silent, and there is nary a buzz, crackle, or squeal (not bad for a 25+ year old bass). The neck is faster than my Fender Standard Jazz, and way easy to play. These seem to sell for $300-$500 on the used market, and I got mine for less than 1/2 the low end, so I'm kind of stoked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like mine is an '86. Really a pretty sweet bass for $125
  20. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

21. youngsouthpaw

youngsouthpaw

IMG_0642.JPG IMG_0640.JPG IMG_0642.JPG I was wondering if I could get a little help on a price for an Ibanez Axstar bass? My husband has one and he had a stroke which left his right side too weak to play and I am trying to sell it. He was our sole provider for our family and we are looking to get the most we can for this guitar. He has owned it since the 80's. I have included some pictures to help but all I'm needing is an idea of a good price for it. I do not know anything about this guitar and I have had trouble finding a source to tell me the value. I'm sorry if this is not the right way to do this but this is all new to me. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Attached Files: