1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Azola bugbass tuning machine issue

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Stonewing, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Stonewing

Stonewing

Hi,

Searched around a bit and didn't find this particular one. Bear with me if it's a repeat from elsewhere...

The tuning machine on my Bugbass II is rattling. I can move the shaft of the tuner up and down (bridge to tailpiece). The other 3 don't do that, they are firm. Since there's some freeplay in the shaft of the tuner it's rattling on many notes, loudly enough that the transducer picks it up.

I've seen our friends at Gollihur have replacement machines, but they are silver and not in the nifty black that was factory original. Replacing the machines is my fall-back as it's not super expensive.

But I'd like to see if anybody has any advice on how I can maybe repair the original tuner in some way to eliminate the rattle and get it back tight.

Thanks in advance,

Matt E/Stonewing

2. Stonewing

Stonewing

Now that I have it apart, I think it just might be the "ear" that is loose. The shaft still seems tight on the gear. I might try soldering the ear back to the shaft, or should I try crushing the shaft onto the ear? It's a two piece construction but I can't see how the ear was affixed to the shaft originally.

3. MDM

MDM Supporting Member

Did you try contacting Steve Azola for advice? I think he's on Facebook. There's an Azola page there; and I heard there was a contact link on the Azola website. But I haven't visited it to verify.