1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

B-15 Cab Transfiguration?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Grissle, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

I've always liked the sound of the old Altec 421's in B-15 cabs. But they're only 21" wide and I would like to use them with different heads like Fenders etc. Can I build some cabs with the same internal volume and edge porting but different dimensions and get similar results?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  3. Grissle

Hmm, so I think a couple PF B-15 cabs in disguise may be in order! I imagined doing the dual baffle initially but which might work best with the Altec's, single or dual? I'm getting amped up, I haven't had a fun project in awhile.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd probably go for a TL606 or similar. It's more like the 70's Thiele cabs and works really well with Altecs, plus plans for it are widely available all over the net.
  5. Grissle

You know I looked at those but they weren't wide enough at 19.25" so I dismissed them. But if I can message the dimensions a bit ill rethink it. One of the heads I want to use with them is 26" wide.
  6. Brad T. Bass

Brad T. Bass

I built (4) TL-606 cabs several years ago. Filled them with Altec 421-8H II’s, Typically just use (2) (Old School Acoustic 370). I have the port covers off, probably should try them with the covers on sometime, but ultimately, it is all about the sound YOU like. Not sure if the Cab is big enough for optimal tuning (with the 421’s ) anyway. Side by Side, any Amp will fit on top, plus the sound isn’t RIGHT in my ears. Light enough that I don’t need to call someone to help me move them.

Another option you might want to try is the TL-505. Might be the size YOU'RE looking for. Heavier, Yes, but probably a better acoustic fit for 421’s. I think this Cab was designed for 18’s, but all you need to do is cut the baffle for a 15”. I saw a Local Band use these, with 15’s, as Subs for their PA. Lotsa Pant Leg Shakin’ goin’ on! Attached are the Plans. As always, optimal port tuning is everything.

Also a link for a Modification I found for a TL-806 (12” cab), but it might be a Good Mod to apply to the TL-606. And the Specs for an EV 2-15 Cab (couldn’t find the plans). Good time of year for a project, as I’m looking out at 8 inches of Snow!!

http://ceriatoneforum.com/index.php?topic=1879.0

http://www.electrovoice.com/downloadfile.php?i=970164

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Attached Files: