1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

B-15 plans

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Grissle, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Grissle

Grissle

OK, I've had these Altec 421A's for awhile now. They're currently still in their original Altec 816 cabs which easily weigh about 150lbs! I'd like to build a couple B-15 cabs to pair with an Ampeg pf350. Are there plans available? I have searched without luck. Also which baffle design would match up with the 421's, double or single?

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

I've never seen B-15 plans available. There are three types, double baffle, single baffle, and in the late 60's and on the Thiele based cab. I don't know which cab type is better with a 421, they sound a little different and it comes down to personal taste. I prefer the double baffle.

The TL606 cabinet plans are available and the cabinet is close to the Thiele based B-15 cabs. With the PF-350, since you are talking about higher wattage than the 25 or 30W B-15's, this might be a good option. Then again, you could go to a store and try a PF-115HE cab. If you like it, take some measurements and build one.

3. Grissle

Grissle

Thanks. Not sure how these will work work with the Altec's though. I've heard good things about paring them with B-15 cabs and some Ampeg 2x15's but not much more info?

4. P Town

P Town Guest

The TL606 was designed for the ElectroVoice EV 15L, or EV15B. I've got the Mesa Boogie, Road Ready Diesel version of this cab, and I'll tell you, it is a great cab, (with the EV driver it was designed for). I have used it with a PF-500, and a B-15, and it works great. I also have a couple double baffle B-15 cabs, and if I was going to build my own, I would go with the TL606 for ease of building, (and because I have a couple EV 15 drivers sitting around). You could build one with very simple tools. I could not advise you as to how it would work with an Altec 421, (but I would really like to know, because I have one that needs a re-cone). I am sure there are some speaker geniuses around here who are knowledgeable about the various speaker cabinet design software, who could plug in the specs for the 421 and compare it to the TL606, and give you an idea if they are somewhat compatible, but, as good as the software may be, "the proof is in the pudding", so maybe you should build one of each, and see what the result is, and let us know.

5. Register to disable this ad