1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

B.C Rich Warlock - snap, crackle ....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by foxxiroxx, Feb 17, 2013.

1. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

Hi all,

While I don't like to play the "I'm a girl" card too much.... I have to admit with repairs and etc - I'm a typical girl". I know how to plug my bass into the amp and turn the volume up. Fine, I admit it.

So awhile back I got a used B.C. Rich Warlock. It's got a big shatter/crack in the back of it that looks like it may have been dropped, but that was all I noticed and I got it used at a cheap price. Well seemed to play fine for awhile, and then all of a sudden - I notice it doesn't like me using the pick up switch selector or the tone knob. Crackles and buzzes at me, but only for small amounts of time. Didn't make too much of it.

Well tonight I took it to band rehearsal and besides being a huge pain in the .... shoulder and neck from the weight of this head heavy monster.... it starts it's buzz and crackle routine, only now it's occasional cutting out on me, too. Unacceptable.

So now.... I guess my only question is: what do I tell the repairs guy so I sound sort of intelligent.... ? Anyone else have this problem? :help:

2. NickTej22

NickTej22

Sounds like a loose connection, it's making unstable connections somewhere, which would explain the crackling.

3. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

Thanks Nick. I'm so irritated with it right now! Hopefully this isn't a costly issue..... :/

4. Duckwater

Duckwater

Yeah it definitely sounds like you need your wiring checked, possibly some new pots as well(they're pretty cheap). I'm surprised someone in your band doesn't know basic wiring.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Wiring is easy. I charge my buddies $20+ cost of parts for total re-wires. Takes me about 30 minutes for a strat (3 pots and a 5-way switch).

A shop shouldn't charge you too much to replace the electronics. $50 tops for parts and labor seems reasonable to me. Some places might charge more.

It's likely that the electronics are stock, and stock electronics can be pretty sucky. I replace the wiring in any new guitar i get unless it comes with full size pots and a decent switch.

7. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

Thanks a lot everyone, sets my mind at ease more and I will feel a little more intelligent now when I take it in likely later today. :)

8. Steve61689

Steve61689

I know practically nothing about basses, but to my surprise I fixed a similar problem by taking my knob off and spraying WD-40 down the spindly bit. Might be worth a try.

9. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

Hey Steve, that sounds like a good idea....... :) Thanks

10. NickTej22

NickTej22

You ever get this resolved?